Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are Therapy Animals effected by their work?
This is an interesting article. I have never thought about how he animals feel about their work. It seems they did quite a bit of work to assess how the animals are doing.
http://animals.io9.com/what-happens-to-t...aleeNewitz

I am glad to hear that the results are good. We assume that dogs want to help us and it seems that they are okay with the job.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm really glad someone has thought to test this. We do just assume that it's ok with the animals, it's good to see that it can be done in a way that the animals are ok with.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Yes the results of the cortisol testing do seem to be quite positive, and I'm glad about that. Dogs (especially) will often do something they even dislike if they have been asked to by their caretaker. And in such cases they do display low-level stress. But this testing goes to show these animals are okay in the circumstances.
It can't be easy to do the work these animals do. Some people in need of therapy could be quite disturbed or unpredictable.
I am glad someone finally thought to do some tests and see how the animals feel about the service they do.

It makes me respect dogs even more to learn that they are really happy in doing service jobs.Heart
I think all the service animals like the work they do.
Where would we be with out animals in our lives.Undecided
Catherine

I don't know where we would be!
I think we are very lucky that many animals enjoy being with us, and sharing our lives and our burdens. They all do have so much love for us, it's quite remarkable. We learn so much from their help.
I think even the reptiles like to be with us. I know bearded dragons love people and my snakes like to have me around. There may not be many(if any) therapy reptiles, but like all the other animals in our lives they do make us feel better.

Dogs of course are the best at it. They actually want to work for us.
I am sure we did not bring dogs in from the wild, they came in voluntarily because they could see that we needed them. We still need them.
Catherine