Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Canada Day
Happy Canada Day to any of our members and visitors who are Canadians.
I wish you all a safe and Happy weekend.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Happy Canada Day to you all!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
15876498bouquet

Happy Canada Day to you Catherine, and to Canada, and to anyone who is Canadian!

From me -over the Pond.
Happy Canada Day!

My grandfather was Canadian. Served in France in WW1. Won the Military Medal for rescuing two wounded comrades under fire.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
What a strong hearted and good man he must have been, Knight. You and your family must be very proud of him.

My grandfather also served in France in WW1
Thank-you all for your good wishes. I do love Canada day. It is really summer and it is a happy event.

Quote:My grandfather was Canadian. Served in France in WW1. Won the Military Medal for rescuing two wounded comrades under fire.

Quote:My grandfather also served in France in WW1

Both my Grandfathers were there. My Canadian Grandfather was wounded in the head. They both made it home. Beyond that I know no details.
Catherine

In those days you just didn't talk about it. Such a shame now as we would all be interested to know how our grandparents fared in such conditions, but there are very few left to ask.
My Dad will be 90 soon and I find myself "pumping" him for information about his youth and what he knows of his parents time.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
(06-30-2014, 11:13 AM)Tobi Wrote: What a strong hearted and good man he must have been, Knight. You and your family must be very proud of him.

My grandfather also served in France in WW1

He was a very kind, decent and honourable man.

And also very brave, though he would have been very modest about that.

(A reminder that for all life's years and experiences, there are one or two main events that people remember us for - for good or ill.)

I've often thought how he survived going out into no-man's-land. Perhaps the Germans respected his courage and fired wide on purpose ...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote:(A reminder that for all life's years and experiences, there are one or two main events that people remember us for - for good or ill.)
Very true and well worth thinking about.

Quote:I've often thought how he survived going out into no-man's-land. Perhaps the Germans respected his courage and fired wide on purpose ...
I like to think so. The common soldier did not really want to hurt anyone.

Quote:In those days you just didn't talk about it. Such a shame now as we would all be interested to know how our grandparents fared in such conditions, but there are very few left to ask.
My Dad will be 90 soon and I find myself "pumping" him for information about his youth and what he knows of his parents time
When I had the chance I did not know what questions to ask. I did not know that I needed to ask.
My father has been gone since 1999 and he was in his 90's then. I think now that I have lived longer I understand his war experiences better(he was a WW2 vet and so was my mother). I don't know enough about my two grandfathers' experiences. How quickly we lose our history.

I am enjoying the days off I have for Canada Day. I spent Monday working on the Humane society garden. I am giving them a garden on a piece of land out back by the parking lot/dogs parks/ spay-neuter clinic. Now that they use the back area more the public sees it and I wanted to make it beautiful. It is getting there. The weeds are certainly thriving.
Catherine

Happy Canada Day!! I'm a little late. Someone said that to me one day and I thought of you Catherine.