Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire at an animal sanctuary destroys barn
Sadly, just days from Christmas, an animal sanctuary in Alberta has had a fire. Its barn caught fire and a number of animals were killed. 
The family is heartbroken, but they are determined to carry on.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/othe...hp&pc=U531

By the time they saw the fire it was already too late. The animals that had already escaped were fine, but it was too late for those still in the barn.
I really hope they can rebuild and carry on with their rescuing. They have provided homes for many animals for years. 
No doubt people will help them with the supplies they need and help raise the money for a new barn. It is just sad to think of them dealing with so much loss when they should be celebrating a happy time of the year. I hope 2022 is kinder too them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The article states that a heat lamp was probably the cause. The dangers of heat lamps are well known. There are safer alternatives. Excellent article here:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/brooder-sa...heat-lamp/
I noticed that a heat lamp was the probable cause of the fire. Heat lamps can be very dangerous. The way bird feathers float around, I would be scared to use one. 
I read the article and the heat emitter seems to be a much safer alternative. It would allow the chicks darkness for sleeping. Heat lights give off a fair amount of light. Those red bulbs are visible.  I use them for a couple of my reptile tanks. I would never just hang them over flammable bedding. I would not trust that.
I can use low level heating pads in some situations. Would that work for chicks or do they need their heat source to come from above.

So many of the old barns are just not safe enough. A smoke detector would have helped, but only if they could have heard it. Maybe there is a detector that would send a text message if it detected smoke. There are too many barn fires every year.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine