Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barn Eggs -the reality
Once I used to buy "Barn Eggs"....in my imagination I visualised chickens living happily among the hay in huge barns where the sunshine came through in rays.....chicken wire at the entrance to protect them from foxes...big Oak beams in the ceiling.....

I found out that was far from the truth.

I don't mean to post this to be 'negative' but just to show a snapshot of what life is really like for those 'barn egg' chickens. I live a quarter mile away from a barn egg chicken farm, and now know the reality.

The chickens go into the barns when they are very young. They are delivered in a huge long-haul truck. Goodness knows how far they have had to be transported. Some die before they even get there.

They are put into the barns. These are huge long buildings with food/water troughs, artificial lighting and high heating. At first the chickens can run about. They have plenty of room. As they grow, space becomes more tight and they mill about together in a huge crowd. They never see the daylight. They are all white and pasty-looking. They do not look glossy or healthy. They poop where they run, and in such a crowded hot space, the air soon becomes unbreathable. Some die. The dead are removed by the farm workers, but in such a mass of chickens, they are not always found very quickly.

Their job is to produce eggs -as many as possible in the shortest possible time. Years ago I once ate one of these eggs. They do not taste good, and it almost made me gag. It did not taste 'healthy'.
The eggs are used for commercial cakes, quiches, mayonnaise...any products in supermarkets which contain eggs.

After less than a year, they are all killed and taken away. Their bodies go for pet food (I think) They are less than a year old, have never seen daylight, have lived in squalor, are not healthy birds, and then they are killed in a mass culling, which takes some time to perform, and is not done in some cruelty-free 'high tech' way....but the old fashioned way (which is bad enough for one chicken, but when thousands have to be killed like this, one can imagine the stress the others are in.)

Then the sheds are cleaned. This takes a team of people TWO WEEKS! The stench from the piles of muck outside the sheds is incredible. Those piles of muck are high.

That's what 'barn eggs' are, and where they come from.
That is appalling.Angry By calling them barn eggs they are letting people think that these eggs are from happy farm chickens. It wouldn't take a lot of changes to make their lives kinder. Ventilation, windows and cleaning would be enough to give them reasonable lives. More space per chicken would help.
If the eggs are used for commercial foods, then no wonder such foods are unhealthy.

Is there any way to make the barn egg truth public enough to force them to change?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine