Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Fat Camp" for over weight pets
Now I have seen it all. They have special pet "camps" to take the extra pounds off of an overweight pet.
https://storify.com/cbccommunity/fat-cam...-thing-now

I am glad that people are recognizing pet obesity as a problem.
The real problem is the owner over feeding and feeding badly.

There is something off about a world where some pets starve and others have to go to fat camp to lose weight.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's strange that people need external "fat camp" discipline in order to eat what their bodies require, and no more....or to exercise as we are intended to.
And even stranger that they can't see what is good/not good for the animals they love very much.

However, it's possible that the Fat Camp will help to change their mind-set, and give them ideas they (strangely) hadn't even thought of.

A part of dogs getting overweight is that some are forced against their natural instincts to live sedentary lives -as their caretakers do.
I thought when you have a dog, you get lots of exercise because you and the dog take lots of walks. It seems that people who are "couch Potatoes" have couch potato pets.
People are not listening to their bodies. They eat junk and way too much of it. In North America we have a fat epidemic. I have seem many 30 pound cats. At that weight they develop diabetes and other health problems. Over weight dogs have all the health problems of over weight people.
The really sad thing is that we need to have fat camps for people and pets.Undecided
Catherine

Yes, I have also seen many overweight cats and dogs here. With the dogs I think it's a result of caretakers not having the daily exercise habit -and of course, it is a dog's nature to hang around where its people are. If they are on the sofa, the dog will be sitting around too.
Cats are self-exercisers normally, and keeping an exclusively 'indoor cat' is very very rare in the UK. Most go out and do their own thing. So an overweight cat is usually the result of over feeding or free-feeding (never letting the cat's food bowls get empty.) When I had a cat he had definite breakfast and dinner times, he ate all his food up, then didn't get any more until the next meal.
I think another problem is the feeding of unhealthy people food as treats. Dogs and cats are getting way too much of the foods that we are getting way to much of ourselves.

If we ate better and exercised more our pets and we ourselves would be healthier. Sadly we are dragging our pets into bad shape as we do it to ourselves.
Catherine