Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
People in Ukraine flee with their pets
This is a very sad time for people in Ukraine. They are fleeing from the dangers of an invasion. They are traveling any way they can. 
The pictures I have seen, show pictures of people carrying their pets. Whatever happens, they are not being left behind. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...tack-pets/

I just hope the people have somewhere to flee to. Wherever people end up I am sure there will be animal rescue groups to help with their pets.
We just have to hope that everyone makes it to safety.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I share your hope. This is not a political forum, but for the record my wife and I strongly condemn the death, suffering and violence caused by the Russian invasion of a neighbouring country.

You rightly draw attention to the fact that not only humans are affected by this aggressive invasion. Animals are badly affected, too. Apart from domestic animals, many thankfully being taken away by their loving caretakers, strays and wild animals are also at risk from shelling and gunfire.

Some humans are, by their nature, warlike and aggressive. It is innocent people and animals who suffer the consequences.
Quote:I share your hope. This is not a political forum, but for the record my wife and I strongly condemn the death, suffering and violence caused by the Russian invasion of a neighbouring country.
I think this act of aggression is condemned everywhere. Even though we are non political I felt we should acknowledge the invasion because it does have an effect on the lives of animals. You are ahead of me. I had not yet thought about farm animals or wild animals. I was thinking of the fact that people were taking their pets with them as they flee danger. I was remembering Hurricane Katrina and how people were forced to leave their animals behind. Never since then have people been willing to leave their pets behind.
Sadly there will be no one to rescue stray dogs who will be caught in the shelling.

I know the nature area around Chernobyl is in the conflict zone. I fear for the many animals who have thrived in peace there. 
All we can do is wait and hope. You are right that some humans are warlike and aggressive. It is the innocent that will suffer from this latest act of aggression.
Catherine

I am almost speechless about what is happening in Ukraine.
I admit that some of my thoughts have not been pacifist. If I were there, teach me how to use a rocket launcher, today.
Blessings to those animals, all of them. The ones who go with their people are loved and fortunate. But what of the street dogs and cats, the strays, the livestock, poor things. But thanks to the good Souls who are helping them Heart
I think we are all shocked. Even though there were signs, I still can't believe this is happening.
I think the people who are there in the war agree with you. They are willing to fight to defend their country. I think we have sent them some rocket launchers.
I know a lot of us would take up arms to save our homeland. I would be glad to help you with that rocket launcher.

I am afraid for everyone who is there, but there is a special fear for helpless animals caught in the war zone. I just hope the people who care for them are able to keep them safe.
Catherine

Yes of course, Catherine. Facebook is very helpful for many people for fast communication and much more practical than a website. I am sorry, I sounded a bit judgmental about them.

I discovered a few drop-off points in the UK today, for people to donate supplies to go out to Poland for the 500.000 refugees (and the number is mounting) There are trucks going to Poland on Friday so I heard.

There is one group in Scotland who are focusing on supplies for animals such as dry food, blankets etc.

Some of these drop-offs have been overwhelmed with donations, so much that they have now had to list what it is that is currently needed most, and that I imagine is subject to daily change.

Among the list of needed items, medical supplies and veterinary medical supplies are needed. Painkillers, antibiotics, bandages, and many other things.
I didn't mean to be defending Facebook either. It just has its uses.  Smiley4

That is amazing about all the supplies people are dropping off. I guess they could go by truck. I am on the other side of the pond so we have to send money or airplanes full of supplies.

I am glad they are collecting pet food. I hope they can get the medical supplies they need.

This is all anyone can talk about right now. We feel so helpless as we watch a disaster unfold. It is worse because it is a deliberately caused disaster.
Catherine

(03-02-2022, 10:56 AM)Tobi Wrote: Yes of course, Catherine. Facebook is very helpful for many people for fast communication and much more practical than a website. I am sorry, I sounded a bit judgmental about them.

I discovered a few drop-off points in the UK today, for people to donate supplies to go out to Poland for the 500.000 refugees (and the number is mounting) There are trucks going to Poland on Friday so I heard.

There is one group in Scotland who are focusing on supplies for animals such as dry food, blankets etc.

Some of these drop-offs have been overwhelmed with donations, so much that they have now had to list what it is that is currently needed most, and that I imagine is subject to daily change.

Among the list of needed items, medical supplies and veterinary medical supplies are needed. Painkillers, antibiotics, bandages, and many other things.

Tobi, could you please put in a link to where the collection points are listed? Many thanks and blessings!
The response from people all over is amazing.  I hope they get everything they need donated. 

Canada is preparing to accept any number of people who need to come here. I don't know if that includes pets.
Catherine