Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian Magpies outsmart scientists.
Australian scientists put tracking devices on a set of five magpies so they could track them The birds turned out to be smarted than they expected and more socially cooperative. A sixth magpie, not part of the group, got busy and removed the trackers.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-...-1.6368911

Maybe some animals don't want to be studied. They are going to need tracking devices that are less obvious. Or else they are going to need tracking devices that the birds want to wear. The whole situation is pretty funny. They did learn some interesting things about magpies.

I am not sure how well tracking devices would work on reptiles. They can shed their skin, so I bet they could shed a tracking device. I will be interested to hear how it all works out.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Magpies are very smart and some have got very attached to people have a look at a movie called Penguin with Naomi Watts.
I will look the movie up. Is there a chance it is on Netflix?

Our Magpies here are pretty smart too. I just think it is so funny that the birds were able to remove the trackers so quickly. If scientists want to study magpies they are going to be much more clever in the way they do it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine