Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katherine Heigl fights gas chamber euthanisations in Utah
The actress Katherine Heigl lives in Utah. She became aware that the shelters still kill animals with a gas chamber. It is a cruel death and it should no longer be used. She is pushing for a bill that will outlaw the use of a gas chamber for animal euthanasia.

https://people.com/movies/katherine-heig...exclusive/

She is right. The gas chamber is a very old method and we have much more humane ways to end an animal's life.
It will be good to have the law passed in Utah. However there are two other states that still use the gas chamber. 

The issue is being dealt with by various humane societies. They have made it clear what the problem is with gas chambers.

https://humanepro.org/page/hsus-statement-gas-chambers

The bill in Utah is stalled and some  of the shelters are resisting change.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/2/24/2...l-shelters

It is such a straight forward issue. How can anyone disagree with it. Why would any shelter defend a euthanasia method that can take 30 minutes.
It is barbaric that this method still exists anywhere. Actually it is barbaric that anyone came up with the method in the first place.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How absolutely awful! This bill has been stalled by sheriffs? What on earth do law enforcers in uniforms know about animal welfare? If you have been trained to handcuff people, that doesn't mean that you like or care about animals. They are not vets, who are the best qualified to give an opinion.

A truly appalling situation, made worse by the American system of state law covering such issues. In most countries, national legislation deals with it.
Quote:A truly appalling situation, made worse by the American system of state law covering such issues. In most countries, national legislation deals with it.

Every single state has to pass its own law. That means the same fight has to be won over and over.
It must be so discouraging for groups fighting for changes. No victory is ever really a victory because there is still one more fight to be won.

This is such an obviously good bill. It is ridiculous that it is stalled at all. It is even worse that sheriffs have stalled it. As you say, what would they know about animal welfare and what euthanasia methods are humane.
Catherine

The sheer cruel mindless wickedness of some people. They do this to save money. No other reason.
Money.
It is absolutely horrible. I am glad to hear this lady is fighting against it. Is there a petition?
Katherine Heigl is a very determined woman. I am sure her efforts will help in Utah. I didn't see a petition, but I can look further.
Once she wins that battle she has to start on other states to change things.

They do it to save money, but do they really save anything. It is having  terrible effect on the people involved. That is a cost that can't be measured.
Catherine