Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Video for Colonel the Dog
I just made this video tonight to remember Colonel the Dog, (Military working-dog captured by the Taliban.)

http://youtu.be/PsMuXHWbwxU

There are links to the Petition: "Rescue Colonel the Dog."
I just watched the video and signed the petition. I do so hope that it bring Colonel home. Great video, BTW - congratulations on making it!
I was thinking about Colonel the other day and wondering how he is and more importantly where he is. I hope he is safe and well cared for.

The military sent him off as a soldier into a combat zone. If they fail him they fail all their soldiers.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Shared it on facebook asking people to share. Let's hope it becomes viral so it will get back in the news again. I want to know what happened.

This is the only news article I found that had anything positive on how the dog was being kept but that was still back in February.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/07/taliban-pri...d-bedding/
“It’s always possible that we could use the dog, since it has been trained,” said Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid.
“It is not like the local dogs which will eat anything and sleep anywhere,” he added. “We have to prepare him proper food and make sure he has somewhere to sleep properly.”
I still hold out hope that the dog will be kept safe and well because he could be used in a prisoner exchange. Odd that we haven't heard anything.
Certainly keeping the story alive is a good thing. I just hope it brings results soon. I am sure Colonel would be happier among familiar things and familiar people.
Catherine

Well, the Taliban video was released February (6th?) I think. And Colonel had been with them since late December. Now in the video, he looks in pretty good condition. There is no telling when the video was made of course. It could have been when he was first captured....or any time between December and early February. But he did look 'looked after' in some sense.

Colonel will be a tough dog. His training and breeding will support him to some extent. But being separated from his handler (either because he was captured, or because his handler was killed in action) -will not be easy for him. Dogs do adapt however.
In my view, Colonel didn't look happy about events, but didn't look terrified either. He will definitely be missing familiar things, and his close bond with his handler.

It is all a question of how useful he is to them. They could sell him to someone....they could try to re-train him. But so far there has been no demand for any kind of 'swap'. I think they may be seeing that the West doesn't really care enough, and won't make a fuss, as he is 'just a dog'.

Sgt. Bergdahl was freed in a swap for Taliban members. But it could be that Colonel is not enough of a valuable piece in the chess-game....

That's why we mustn't shut up. They might think we're nuts to go on like this about a dog, but I would like them to find out exactly HOW nuts we are!

Thanks for all the 'shares' Libby. Bless you!
If they are willing to have a dog serve as a soldier, then they owe him the same respect that they give to any soldier.
Isn't the motto "No man left behind". In this case by "man" they mean serving military personnel. So far they have failed Colonel.

When a police dog or even a police horse is killed it is treated as the death of a police officer.
So the capture of a military dog should be treated as any other prisoner of war situation. At least there is no bad news about Colonel.
Catherine

Yes you're right. There has been no 'bad news'. Maybe that's a good sign. There was a dog who belonged to Australian forces who was discovered living with the Taliban, and rescued....years later! And brought back to her handler in Australia! I have forgotten where I read that story now, but if I find it I will post it. (Could have been on Facebook)
I still hold out hope for the Colonel. He could still be reunited with his people.
I hope you can find the story about the other dog.
Catherine

I found the story.
Sabi, rescued by an American serviceman after spending a year with the Taliban:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/blog/200...ian-troops