Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethel
I never imagined I would be posting here again so soon.
Barely 2 weeks after we lost Latte, dear Ethel has left us.

She developed a very fast growing, very painful tumour in her left lower jaw which was preventing her from opening her mouth enough to eat and drink and we had no choice but to PTS before it got any worse. What a hard decision to make, and live with. But definitely the correct one for Ethel.
We had the opportunity to have one last evening with her as I was at the vet by myself and couldn't make the decision to do it there and then and deprive everybody else at home of a last good bye. A lovely evening it was too. Cuddles all round, with Ethel sleeping a lot in Anna's pink dressing gown while Anna was wearing it.
Bittersweet but I wouldn't have missed it.
So Yesterday morning we went back to the vet and Ethel left all the pain and suffering behind.
Now she can eat all she wants from the sweet grass at Rainbow Bridge with her dear friends Latte and Cappuccino.

Good Bye dear friend. How we miss you.
I look forward to seeing you again when it's time.

Baby Ethel
[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 3512622622_6e9ab02b9f.jpg]Little Ethel by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr" />

Ethel asleep in the pink dressing gown.
[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 10196017053_6b02e1b3fa.jpg]Up tails all by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr" />
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am so sorry that yet another of your beloved piggies has passed over. You had to make a difficult decision, but you made it out of compassion and love for Ethel. She is now out of pain and in the company of her friends.

Run free on astral fields with companions, dear Ethel!
I am so sorry. Smiley19 Our dear little Ethel, you must be heart broken.
I am glad you had a last family evening with her.
It is the hardest decision ever, because you know it is the most loving thing to do, but you wish there was some other choice. I am sorry that Ethel developed a tumor, but I am relieved that her pain is over.

You have a whole herd of dear little piggies waiting for you across the rainbow bridge. I wish the girls a happy reunion now and an even happier one with you later. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am so sorry for your loss of Ethel, Cibach.
She is such a darling little thing. You must all miss her very much.
Your story of Ethel's last night was so touching.
Blessings little Ethel in this new beautiful place where you find yourself now. Your family here will always love you.
Thank you for your kind words.
We miss Ethel greatly, none more than Annie, who now finds herself alone in a pen built for 4. She is spending her time at the barrier to be near Ruby and Marigold. I tried Annie and Marigold on my lap yesterday, but it was not successful. Annie tried to hide and Marigold was just cross, like they get when they feel an intruder is in their space.
Annie is getting a LOT of lap time and when I clean out today I'm going to split Annie's pen into 2 and pop the Foster Piggies in the other side so Annie has piggies on both sides.
I'm a little reluctant to try her with the fosters as they may have to go back to their original owner as they were a Social services intake, who's owner is elderly and very ill. She is unlikely to leave hospital, but who knows. It would be very cruel for Annie to bond with them then lose them too. They are also rather young, maybe not even 1, and I would like an age appropriate companion for her.
Suzy at the rescue has a few candidates in mind, but it may be a week or so before she has the space for bonding.
So meanwhile Annie is getting an overload of people time and seems to take comfort in it.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
I wondered how Annie was doing. Poor little girl, so many changes to her life. I am sure she is loving her people time and that makes up for a lot. Too bad she is not bonding with Ruby and Marigold. There is no explaining why some pigs get along and some don't.
I am sure she misses Cappy, Latte and Ethel. If you find the right piggie(s) you might be able to give her company. At least she has other guinea pigs around her.
Keep us posted.
Catherine

Aww I'm so sorry. I remember you posting that picture on another thread. She definitely was a character. I understand how hard it is to make that decision. I had to make that decision myself with my rabbit a few years ago. Unfortunately Scratch didn't have time to wait and I had to let him go on a Friday while my parents were out of town for the weekend.
It is the hardest choice ever, but sometimes it is the only one we can make.

I do hope Annie is managing without her friends. Guinea pigs do love each other so much. It makes things very hard for them when one of a group dies. In Annie's case she has lost her whole group. I really feel for her.
How are Annie's teeth doing? Is she still managing to eat okay?
Catherine

Annie is doing remarkably well. She is having her teeth inspected weekly by Suzy at the rescue. She now has no top incisors at all, but we expected that. The lower ones are still there and growing strongly, so they get a trim every week or so as they have nothing to wear against.
As long as her veggies are prepared appropriately for her she manages to eat by herself with no problems. she manages the hay and her dry food easily.
She is now in a pen between two other groups of piggies ie Ruby and Marigold on one side and the foster piggies, who we've called Leah and Tabitha, on the other. She's dividing her time between the 2 barriers and has good interaction with the two groups. She clearly needs piggy company but I don't think either of the pairs will be good match for her.
There is a lovely gilrly call Ally at he rescue, who Suzy thinks may be good match for Annie. She is three and a half so is reasonably close in age and she really seems to like me, so we''ll see. The bonding pens are busy just now so it may be a week or so, but meanwhile Annie is getting lots of lap time and is relishing it.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
It will be interesting to see how the bonding goes. It seems to be a matter of finding the right match. I hope Ally is the one. I am sure she would love to live with you and your girls. I look forward to hearing about the bonding process.

Annie is amazing. She has been so good about her teeth and has adapted so well to eating without her incisors. I am sure all the extra love you give her will help her through. In many ways you help each other since you both miss your girls.
Keep us posted.
Catherine