Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US company plans to gene edit cats to make them non allergic
A US company plans the use the crispr technology to remove the genes from cats that cause an allergic reaction in humans. There are particular proteins that cause the allergic reaction. It is in a cats saliva.  It would be possible to remove that protein using crispr. What effect that would have on the cat is unknown at this time. 
They plan to do it and see what the results are. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/231...e-editing/

Crispr is one of those technologies that allow us to do things without asking whether the thing should be done. We tend to act before we even look at the possible results. Using crispr to edit DNA to save the life of someone with a lethal genetic condition is one thing. Using crispr to edit the DNA of animals to suit our personal needs is totally different. They are determined to do it. How much damage would it have to cause to the cat before they stop. We don't know what effect the change would have. It is a bit extreme to edit a cat's DNA when there are other treatments for allergies.

The gene editing would not be done for the benefit of the animal being edited. That is a serious ethical issue. I think it needs  more discussion before actions are taken.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-30-2022, 12:33 PM)Catherine Wrote: The gene editing would not be done for the benefit of the animal being edited. That is a serious ethical issue. I think it needs  more discussion before actions are taken.
I agree totally. The ethical issues need a lot of discussion. An ethical investigative commission would seem needed before any decision is made even about planning on such work.
Quote:I agree totally. The ethical issues need a lot of discussion. An ethical investigative commission would seem needed before any decision is made even about planning on such work.
We have the ability to do a lot of things that were the stuff of horror films and science fiction movies years ago. It is not the technology that has a problem. Some of the things we can do are amazing. What we haven't done is sort out the ethical issues. The question is no longer can we do it, it is should we do it. Is something the right thing to do. Genetic modification of another species, for our benefit, not theirs, doesn't seem to be the right move ethically. It is being done without the informed consent of the cats involved and it could put their whole species at risk.  If we have learned anything for horror films and science fiction movies it is that things don't always go the way we expect them to go. Sometimes chaos happens. When that chaos involves the gene editing of another species we need to think it over and proceed cautiously.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine