Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iditarod penalizes mushers who sheltered their dogs in a storm
We have questioned the Iditarod dog race before. It does seem to be abusive and dangerous for the dogs. Race officials have just confirmed that dog welfare is not their first priority. There was a dangerous storm with high winds and one of the Mushers sheltered in a cabin. She brought her dogs in with her to protect them.
The race officials have penalized her for that action. She was allowed to take shelter, but the dogs were supposed to be left outside. A number of other Mushers also sheltered their dogs and were penalized too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yuk...-1.6400665

They protected their dogs from a dangerous storm and so they were punished for it.
Shouldn't it be the other way around. Those that didn't protect their dogs should be the ones who are penalized. Protecting the dogs should come first. 
The fact that it doesn't conforms what we know about the race. PETA has been right all along. The race should be ended as an act of animal cruelty.

Good for the Mushers who put their dogs wellbeing ahead of winning the race.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-31-2022, 02:33 PM)Catherine Wrote: Good for the Mushers who put their dogs wellbeing ahead of winning the race.
Indeed. That is the only good point in the story. The race, however, should be abolished if the organisers have such a low view of dogs.
The organizers have made it clear how much they value the dogs. They punish those who looked after their dogs and protected them from suffering and harm. 
For that reason alone the race should be ended. The purpose of the race is to honor the dogs that saved human lives by getting serum to Nome during the 1925 Diphtheria epidemic. What they do now doesn't honor the dogs at all. They are willing to let dogs die. There must be a more animal friendly way to honor the dogs that risked their lives in 1925.
Catherine

On the page you cited I found a link to this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/idi...-1.6347449

Support is waning for this race....
There is very little support for the race now. Even though they all claim PETA had no part in their decisions, I think PETA very much had an influence. 
No one wants to be associated with an event that kills so many dogs. PETA  has made sure that people know how many dogs have died.
In future races, it is possible that people will not want to enter their dogs. The race organizers have made it clear that the dogs don't matter.
We could see the Iditarod canceled in the future.
Catherine

Now that the public is really against them and they are losing sponsors, the race officials are willing to review their decisions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/idi...-1.6407979

I am not so sure they are having a change of heart about animal welfare. I think they are trying to get ahead of public opinion before they lose any more support.
I am guessing they will never penalize anyone for caring for their dogs ever again.
Catherine