Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veterinarian charged with animal abuse
A veterinarian in upstate New York has been charged with animal abuse. He hit and kicked animals in his care. He choked a dog that was crying and hit a kitten with nail clippers. The things he did were intended to cause pain and distress to the animals.
He also falsified vaccination records. He gave out the records and charged for them, but did not give the vaccine. 

https://www.newsweek.com/veterinarian-ch...ed-1702514

How does a guy like that get through vet college? Did nobody see any sign of this in his behavior. 
They are still asking for people to come forward if they think their pet was abused, but he already faces a number of charges.
Hopefully he losses his veterinary license. No one who treats animals like that should be allowed to work as a vet or work with animals in any other way.

The fake vaccine records are a more subtle kind of abuse. The owner thinks the pet is safely vaccinated, but in reality it is at risk for catching something that could cause serious illness, even death. It could pass the illness on to other animals. This could do more harm than simply hitting an animal. 
People will need to have their pets revaccinated just to be sure.

I hope they can make the charges stick.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Appalling. I would imagine that the violence against the pets in his "care", plus the falsification of documents, will result in a severe punishment. This man should be banned from any contact with animals, in addition to any punishment and withdrawal of licence.

Footnote to non-American members and visitors: "upstate" as mentioned in the article means "the northern part of a state" or in this particular case "situated or occurring in the northern part of a state, especially the northern part of New York State as contrasted with New York City." (Source: https://www.lexico.com/definition/upstate).
This is not the first time a vet has been caught abusing animals. Sadly the vet in Ontario was allowed to return to practice after a short suspension. Animal abuse was not enough to get his license revoked. 
This New York vet falsified documents so he may be in more trouble.

Animal abuse should be an automatic loss of license for a vet. I wonder about the veterinary associations that let these vets keep practicing.
Could their attitude contribute to the abuse. Vets must know they can get away with abusing animals and face few consequences if caught.
I wonder about the training in the vet colleges? Maybe that needs to be reviewed if graduates are abusing animals in their care.
There should at least be some kind of inquiry.

This article has a bit more detail.

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/ne...-his-care/

There must be other animals that were abused. This seems to be a pattern of behavior towards animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine