Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs of Peace -land mine detection dogs in Afghanistan
An almost 50 minute 'Our World' documentary, showing the training and vital work of these dogs, who are trained to sniff out TNT.

http://youtu.be/xohGv6YRsHo

I found this video very moving, as Afghanis who had never encountered dogs before, are working with them as their handlers, and forming deep bonds and trust. The local people also view them as heroes, as the land mines prevent anyone living a normal life.
This is creating a situation in which dogs are no longer feared by many, and are welcomed instead.

Although it is dangerous work, all the dogs love what they are doing and associate their work with play. They all appear to be having a ball!

If carefully managed by the handler, and trained to strict obedience (using reward system) the dangers are overcome...but the safety of the dog depends on total obedience. Those who do not make the grade are not sent out on land mine missions until they are ready.

(One of my very favourite bits was the little pup in early training -bless him!)

The video is narrated by Heather Mills McCartney.
I am going to watch this tomorrow as soon as I get home. I fear I will fall asleep at the computer if I try to watch it tonight and I don't want to miss even a minute. It sounds amazing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I finally had time to watch the video.
I loved it. I love knowing about the heroic efforts that are being made to make Afghanistan safer. The dogs are amazing. They transform their handlers as they are being trained themselves. The whole effort is ambitious and incredibly hopeful. I had no idea that there were so many land mines out there waiting to harm people. I guess enough dogs and enough time and they will do it.

Sadly there are many places that have land mines. It s going to take many dogs to make the world safer. Interesting that dogs are the best way to find land mines. For all the technology that we have, we still need dogs the way prehistoric humans needed the first dogs that came to live with us.
They give us so much. I hope we give something back.
Catherine

In spite of the barriers created by religious and cultural prejudice against dogs, these 4-legged heroes are also working as ambassadors for their species! And people there are beginning to open cracks in their thinking and maybe even in their hearts -in favour of the dogs.
Maybe the dogs will do more to heal the wounds of war than just clearing the land mines. Working with a loving devoted animal like one of these dogs will do a lot to heal their handlers. Other people recognize the good the dogs do and that will open them up as well. Certainly the children are responding well to the puppies.
Afghan needs so hope right now.
Catherine