Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotional support animals an animal welfare risk?
I can't get the article to load at the moment but this is one thing I wish people would get through their heads, EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS ARE NOT SERVICE ANIMALS!

The whole reason for an emotional support animal is for home companionship. It means if you are lonely you can get a doctor to say you need a pet and whoever you rent from HAS to allow that pet no matter the rental rules. They do not have the training to be out in public. In addition service animals can only be dogs and miniature horses. They have to go through hours of training and only 50% of dogs make it through training to become a service dog. I sadly don't have the horse stats memorized on how many make it through training. There aren't that many is my guess.

People who try to pass their emotional support pets (even regular pets) as service pets make it very dangerous for the real service dogs. I've seen so many incidents where a service dog was attacked by someone else's "service dog" only to find out that it was actually an emotional support dog or just someone's dog that wanted to take to the mall. It's a huge public risk.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Emotional support animals an animal welfare risk? - by Libby - 06-10-2022, 08:38 AM