Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mall Pet Patrol watches for dogs in cars
Thumbs Up 
This is a great idea. Maybe more places should do this since people seem unable to learn about the dangers of dogs in cars,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scoti...-1.2706085

I think it is admirable that people are willing to give their time to watch for distressed pets. If you saved one dog you would feel like the whole project is worth it.
I hope the idea spreads. I hate reading about yet another dog left in a car to die of heat stress.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

An excellent idea, which should be copied in other areas and indeed other countries.
This is indeed a great idea. It might also help people to think twice before leaving their dog in a car, if they see a group doing this.

I often do a patrol myself, in warm or hot weather, in the car park when I go to the supermarket. So far I have only once had to rush into the store, with the car make & registration and ask for a message to be put out over the tannoy. In that instance, the woman was very annoyed with me, saying "I have only been five minutes!" I didn't say much but to mention how dangerous it was even for a few minutes.
Quote:I often do a patrol myself, in warm or hot weather, in the car park when I go to the supermarket. So far I have only once had to rush into the store, with the car make & registration and ask for a message to be put out over the tannoy. In that instance, the woman was very annoyed with me, saying "I have only been five minutes!" I didn't say much but to mention how dangerous it was even for a few minutes.

No matter how much we tell people about the dangers of dogs in cars, they just don't believe it. You very likely saved the dog's life, but she certainly didn't appreciate it.
Most people's sense of time is poor so five minutes could be thirty.
If you had broken her window to save the dog she would have been really angry.

Mall patrols are probably the only solution. They are an anonymous presence that watches for dogs in trouble. Since people refuse to learn we have to watch out for their dogs for them.
Catherine

Yes I think the mall patrols are a great idea. When people will not listen to an individual, and think that person is interfering, they will take notice of a patrol.
In UK there is now a poster put out by the RSPCA which says if you see a dog shut in a car on a hot day to call 999. I presume that would be Police.
The Police will come for a dog in a car. They do not like to see dogs dying of heat stress when it is so preventable.

Maybe you need a vest that says "Dog Patrol" or something like that. You can put it on if you need to confront someone. After all you do patrol for dogs in trouble. Even an armband would make you look official. And you can always offer to call the Police.
Catherine