Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog left in crate at the airport for 21 hours
Toronto's Pearson Airport  is experiencing some staffing difficulties. This is effecting all the airlines and there are mounds of unclaimed baggage that has not been sorted.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/why-are-so-ma...50006.html

In this particular case, Air Transat transported two dogs from the Dominican Republic. One dog was brought out to the owner upon arrival. The owner could get no information about the other dog. It took 21 hours before the dog was found mixed in with the vast mounds of luggage, unsorted at the airport.
So far the airline has not really responded with an explanation for what happened or made an appropriate apology.
There is no assurance that this won't happen again.

https://www.cp24.com/news/dog-left-with-...-1.5972605

Dogs are not supposed to be treated like regular luggage. We pay extra to fly our pets so we expect extra service.
One dog travelled safely so the airline can do it. The other dog seems to have been treated like a regular piece of luggage. If it were not for the baggage disaster at the airport the dog might have been found sooner. He should never have been misplaced in the first place. Some of that luggage has been there for many days. For a dog in a crate it is not just stressful. It could have been fatal. If airlines are going to accept dogs for travel, they need to be much more vigilant in their care of the dogs they transport.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I've been hearing about this poor pup all over. It's so awful! I've always heard about needing to put a tracker in the crate so this doesn't happen but I don't know how that could mess with the plane's instruments.

It's wild to me that they don't just have a special section for crated pets within the cabin. I mean they can put toilets on a plane why not a kennel spot similar to that. The dogs could be placed on the plane before anyone else similar to how they allow disabled passengers to board first. Owners can have the seats closest to the bathroom and kennels. I know dogs aren't typically even considered when flying and how many pets are on a single plane at any given time? I can't imagine too many ends up on the same plane. A kennel on a plane may not be realistic but it would probably attract more owners to feel comfortable about the situation.
A kennel on a plane might be a good idea. I am sure they could find a way to do it if they wanted to.
Certainly it isn't working to just fly with animals in the cargo hold. Right now air travel is such a mess that they shouldn't be taking any animals that can't fit in the cabin. They are not doing to well with ordinary luggage either.

I think the dog is pretty traumatized by the whole experience.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine