Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annie's adventures (introducing Sadie)
As most of you will know, we've had quite a few weeks lately. Our herds have gone from a 3 and a 2 to a 1 and a 2. It has been quite shocking for us to loose 2 piggies in such a short time.

Annie found herself alone in a pen designed for 4, so we did a little alteration and she then had the fosters on one side and Marigold and Ruby on the other side. She was enjoying a lot of people time and had company on both sides, but she was clearly missing the rest of her group. We had no joy bonding her with Marigold and Ruby.

Well this Sunday, Suzy from Glynneath Rescue called and said that her bonding pen was now free and would we like to bring Annie over to find a friend. So we set off straight away. Annie spent 3 days meeting piggies and has finally settled on Sadie.
Sadie is about three and a half, we think, and came into the rescue after living in an aviary with her neutered husband. Sadly Bramwell died after a nasty fungal chest infection leaving Sadie all alone.
She had been a breeder pig but we know very little about her.
She has very long hair and is a cream/beige colour. She's really quite dominant but Annie is used to that as Latte was as dominant as they come!!

They are still getting used to each other but seem to be doing very well, sharing veggies and grooming each other.

I have some photos to upload and will post them as soon as I get it done.

Annie had the company next door of our foster piggies, Leah and Tabitha and I have some photos of them too.
I really must get around to uploading them.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am so glad that Annie has found someone. I look forward to meeting Sadie. It sounds like a perfect solution. Annie gets a friend and the company she needs. Sadie finds a new life after all her work as a breeder and the loss of her mate. And you get a new piggie.

I look forward to the pictures and do tell us more about the bonding pen and how it works.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I still haven't uploaded the pictures yet!!

The bonding pen is a very large cage base. I've never seen a cage as big, it must be 6ft by 3ft. Suzy puts out lots of hay and a big bowl of food. She also puts in the wire top of a much smaller cage so the bonding pen is divided but they still have access to each other.
To start with she tried Ally and all went well with the divide. If there is no interest, or worse, aggression, then there is little point in progressing, but Ally and Annie were very interested in each other. After a couple of hours it was obvious that they wanted to get closer so the divide was removed and all seemed OK. The girls spent a supervised night together but by morning Ally decided she didn't really like Annie and bit her on her ear. Poor Annie has never encountered a piggy that would bite her and was very upset. so Suzy removed Ally and gave Annie some quiet time to compose herself.
She then started again with Sadie. This went much more smoothly after the removal of the divide and although they are not "In each others pockets" they are clearly happier with the other one there.
Sadie is very dominant and although there has been the occasional "Bop", Annie is not upset by it like she was with Ally.
The girls spent a supervised night together and we took them home the next afternoon.
We are having joint lap time as we don't want to separate them and Sadie doesn't seem to mind that the veggies are all cut up rather than big chunks. They are sharing nicely and it's looking good so far.

With bonding for others Suzy likes to keep the piggies for at least 2 night together before she is happy to send them home, but she knows us so well and that if there are issues she is not far away (about 15 mins in the car) and she knows I'll call if necessary so she was happy for us to take them home after only 1 night together.
I'm feeling very optimistic about this. Sadie is beginning to warm up to us and will take veggies from our hands now. I'm sure seeing that Annie trusts us has helped.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Poor Annie! I hope the girls will end up becoming BFF's! That can happen -even after rough beginnings.

But if they are anything like my two neighbouring cats down the lane -it ain't never gonna happen! Cat wars....constantly.....

Let's hope peace will occur!

Hard work, piggie social life management !
Quote:Hard work, piggie social life management !

It is hard work, but Suzie has come up with a good solution. I think she is right to keep the piggies there for a couple of night without their owners. Away from home things can work out differently. Sometimes you just have to let the piggies work things out for themselves.
It sounds like Annie and Sadie are going to be fine together. They don't have to be all over each other to be good company.

The bonding pen is a great idea. It allows enough access without risking injury. After all you can't just toss two pigs in together and expect it to work. They do need to look each other over and feel comfortable with each other.
I can't wait to see the pictures.
Catherine

Photo 
At last, here are a few pictures. There are more to come...... soon, HONEST!

Here are our two foster Piggies, Leah with the light face and Tabitha with the tawny face.

[img][Image: 14762956403_ca6ab4b2a4.jpg]We like it here!! by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

They are coming along beautifully. They both take veggies from your hand but are still a little skittish about being picked up. Leah is an adventure pig and no sound or smell must be left uninvestigated. Tabitha is far more laid back and just loves to snuggle.

[img]http://[Image: 14720093996_8cd5849727.jpg]Comfy Pig. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

Here's Leah meeting Annie at the barrier.

[img][Image: 14743087955_087acae56a.jpg]Neighbourly gossip. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

While she has been on her own in the pen Annie has been making the most of her "People time"

[img][Image: 14762951073_6c5ecd7b90.jpg]The art of relaxation. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

And finally for now, a photo of the new girl in Annie's life, Sadie.

[img][Image: 14720084316_543a86da35.jpg]Sadie pig. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Sadie is too cute.Heart She is like my Lambert. They are so pretty with all that long hair.

Annie has clearly learned the art of relaxation. I wish I could feel that comfortable. I hope they work out together. Sadie and Annie would be a cute looking pair.
Your fosters are pretty girls. I am glad they are feeling more secure with you. Any chance that you will keep them or is it better for them to be rehomed so you can foster other pigs that need help.

I look forward to hearing more about your girls and of course more pictures.
Catherine

Whenever we foster I'm tempted to keep them, but I only have room for a cage, which whilst being adequate doesn't really give them as much room as I would like. I try very hard not to get too attached but it never works!! These girlies will be with us for a few more weeks to complete a full pregnancy watch. We think it is very unlikely that they are pregnant but without very much info on how they were kept we just can't take the risk.
Once these girls have returned there is a very frightened boy who has been at the rescue for weeks now and just hasn't warmed up to people at all, so we are going to see if we can help him.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
It is hard not to get attached, but I can see why it is better for some piggies to be fostered. I forgot about the need for a pregnancy watch.
It also gives you a chance to socialize them. I am sure they will find a new home right away and the scared little boy will have a better chance if you can work your magic on him. I am sure there is a reason why he is so scared and he needs some good positive experiences before he trusts people.

I wonder how your girls will like having a boy around. I know my boys have not seemed to notice that Flora is a girl. They could go visit her, but Murray is the only one who does.

Guinea pigs are funny little creatures.Smiley4
Catherine

They sure are!! I would love to keep all the piggies that pass through my hands but it simply isn't practical, never mind the potential vet bills!! So I make do with fostering and also I get to cuddle all the rescue piggies when we visit so that assuages my yearning for more.
As far as a boy visiting, we have had them in the past with no obvious problems for the girls. We only have single boys so that there will be no quarrelling if they get over excited about the girls. Having said that there are boys and girls, pairs and singles, all in the same shed at the rescue and there has never been any trouble, but since they are not my piggies I don't like to take the chance.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.