Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switzerland holds referendum on banning factory farming.
Switzerland is holding a Referendum on banning factory farming. If it passes it will no longer be legal to farm intensively with animals confined to tiny spaces.
Currently you can keep 27,000 meat chickens in one farm. The number would drop to 500.
It would be a drastic change. It is not clear if the referendum will pass. 
Also, even if it passes, the country can still import meat from factory farms in other countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ry-farming

Even if it doesn't pass, it is important that that they are holding a referendum. Ending factory farming may take more time, but ending it is being thought about and talked about. Factory farming as we know it now, didn't happen overnight. It will take some time and effort to dismantle it. This referendum is a good step in the process.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I missed this news. Thanks for posting the thread. I await the result of the referendum with interest. Even holding such a referendum is positive.

If only the bastion of factory farming, the USA, would consider such a move!
Quote:Even holding such a referendum is positive.

If only the bastion of factory farming, the USA, would consider such a move!
I agree, just holding a referendum is a big step.

The trouble with holding a referendum in the USA, is the way their system works. Each state would have to hold its own referendum.
Canada has pretty much the same problem, but it is easier for us to bring in laws on the federal level. 
I think they have more chance of the industry giving up factory farming by choice, if it becomes really unpopular.

Sadly, most people don't care enough to push for change.
Education of children about factory farming could have an impact. Children can be reached, and they do care about things.

I do hope Switzerland passes the referendum. They could influence so many other countries.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine