Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cancer vaccine from cat poop?
Cancer vaccine from cat poop?

It sounds like the most unlikely source for a cancer cure, but cancer researchers David J. Bzik and Barbara Fox of the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College in Hanover have found that the parasite, Toxoplasma Gondii, which is found in the intestines of cats, can 'jump start' the immune system to produce cancer-fighting 'T' cells. This dangerous parasite causes an illness called Toxoplasmosis when the single celled organism replicates. But modifying it so that it can't replicate creates a harmless version of the T.G. cell, and this shows promise for a possible future vaccine against cancer!
Read more here:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/cat-poo...-cure.html

If this is developed, one hopes it will be done ethically, with no exploitation of cats.
Fascinating! It is interesting that "caca" is good for quite a few things. It is basically where vitamin B12 comes from, too.

(07-26-2014, 05:50 PM)Tobi Wrote: If this is developed, one hopes it will be done ethically, with no exploitation of cats.

That is the thing which worried me, too. Should the cure work, the fecal matter might be needed in large quantities. I wouldn't want to see cats "farmed" in cages for their "no2"s!

Hopefully the vaccine or whatever could be replicated in a laboratory.
I agree we don't want cats to be exploited by this research.

I heard about this on the radio and I hadn't had a chance to follow it up. So thanks for posting. My first thought was who got the idea to test cat poop for cancer fighting properties? It seems so unlikely.

Of course it is really toxoplasmosis that is the issue. There have been all kinds of scares about its dangers. I am sure most of us with cats have had toxoplasmosis in a mild form and overcome it and come out with stronger immune systems.
As I understand it, cancer cells happen all the time and our bodies just get rid of them. Weak immune systems or genetic susceptibilities
make cancer more likely to happen. Exposure to cancer causing agents overwhelm our immune systems and make cancer more likely. It makes sense that there are things that can strengthen our systems.
Interesting that a parasite that we fear could actually help us. Cleaning a dirty litter pan might actually be good for your health.

I wonder if there is a like between cancer free and having cats. There might be a rush to adopt cats just in case.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, it's mysterious, because one would assume that cats themselves would have more of these "T" cells, and unlikely to develop cancer, as they clean themselves regularly, therefore must have constant exposure to the Toxoplasmia Gondii parasite. Yet this isn't the case. Cats get cancer just as dogs and other animals do. On average, they do live longer than dogs, however....

I think there is more to this finding than meets the eye. Anyway, I hope it works out, and researchers remember compassion and kindness to animals!
Not all cats carry the parasite, but I wonder if infected cats get cancer.
The whole things needs more research. It has the potential to be a cure, but it is years from doing anyone any good.

You are right that we want the researchers to show respect for any cats they use. I hope it works and I hope the research is done ethically.

Cats do live longer than dogs. I wonder why.
Catherine

This is fascinating. As you say, who would have thought it. It takes some real lateral thinking!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I wonder what made them check this line of research or are they looking into a whole range of odd things that humans encounter?
Catherine

I suspect that someone discovered that the Toxoplasmosis parasite could be used in this way and then looked for a source of it. There are probably other variants that would have the same effect but the cat version is readily available, relatively.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Quote:I suspect that someone discovered that the Toxoplasmosis parasite could be used in this way and then looked for a source of it. There are probably other variants that would have the same effect but the cat version is readily available, relatively.

There is no shortage of cat poop.Smiley4
I also think the parasite is fairly common. It would be a very unlikely source for a cure, but wouldn't it be incredible if it worked.
Catherine

What an interesting topic.
LPC: I didn't know it was the basis for vitamin B12???
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com