Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal rights activists acquitted for rescuing piglets
The group Direct Action Everywhere went into a pig gestation barn in Utah and documented what they saw. Circle Four Farms owned by Smithfield Foods is not happy about that. The activists found two piglets that had been discarded as garbage, who were still alive. They rescued them. Smithfield foods had them charged with the theft of the two piglets.
The story is complicated, so read it if you want to. The final outcome? The activists were acquitted. A jury refused to find them guilty of theft for rescuing two little pigs that would have died.
The pigs are now full grown and living at a sanctuary farm.

https://www.animals24-7.org/2022/10/09/a...-to-china/

This does send a message about activist activities. They took the piglets, and they admit it. They were just not found guilty of theft.
I wonder how this case will affect other cases where animals have been rescued?

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/1...-precedent

I asked the question, and it seems there is an answer.
It sets a right to rescue precedent. That will make it easier to rescue animals in the future. 
Even if the rescue takes place in another jurisdiction, there will still be an influence.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Birthing cages (or sow stalls) are tiny and the sows are strapped permanently, 27/7, on their sides, on hard metal bars. This is extremely cruel. Such cages are banned by law in the EU and the UK (since 1999). Yet this abomination STILL exists in the USA.

I am glad that the people were found not guilty. Many blessings to them for their fine work!
There are people out there fighting these cages and the cruelty they represent. It is hard to believe someone came up with the idea of birthing cages and thought they were a good idea.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine