Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covie the Alpaca
In the unlikely location of Mount Pearl, Newfoundland there is an Alpaca. Covie was brought in to protect the other farm animals, but he has turned into a real pet.
He walks on a leash through the town every day. People stop to greet him and take pictures with him. He even has a Facebook group who keep track of his walks and his pictures.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl...-1.6618952

It is an unexpected location for an Alpaca. He has no herd, so he socializes with the people he meets.
Covie has turned into a real pet. The sight of him walking on a leash never gets old. People love to see him and visit with him.
He does look happy and so do the people who meet him. He may not be doing much farm protecting, but he is certainly doing the town a lot of good.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The received wisdom is that alpacas should not be kept without others of their own kind, as they are herd animals (like sheep and goats). However, he seems to have other animals on the farm for company, plus of course lots of adoring humans! So he seems to be doing pretty well.

Our Denny loves to run up to the fence if people pass by and seems to enjoy the attention.
I get the feeling that Alpacas really like people. They always seem to want to greet them.
I guess anyone can be a herd when there are no other Alpacas around.
Is Denny one of your baby Alpacas?
Catherine

Actually, no. He was one of our two "originals". He has since been daddy to six crias over the years! He is now 8 years old.

You are right, alpacas like humans and are very curious by nature.
Of course, Denny is one of the originals. I should have remembered that. 
So, he is a grand old man of 8. He must have been with you 6 or 7 years then. 
I didn't know he was the father of that many Crias. 

Alpacas always look curious and friendly. They have pretty faces.
I can see why Covie is much loved in his small Newfoundland town.
He is a sight most people there would never have seen.
Catherine