Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neuralink killed 1500 animals in its testing phase
(12-07-2022, 03:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: Is this yet another project of Elon Musk that is in trouble? Probably.
If he can break Twitter in such a short time, I am sure he can break other things.
When that breaking things involves cruelty to animals someone needs to step in and control things.
Elon Musk does not care about animal welfare in the slightest. He pushed the laboratories into rushed results which were botched and had to be repeated - thus unnecessarily doubling the number of animals used and subsequently killed. The test animals are always killed in order to analyse the results.

I am opposed to the use of animals for human research, as history has shown time and time again that the physiology of animals and humans is different, so the results from any one species (e.g. pigs, monkeys...) cannot be taken as an indication that a treatment will work for humans. In a few cases, such assumptions have led to disasters, such as thalidomide (where "safe" animal tests led to malformations of human babies). This is apart from humanitarian and moral objections to animal experimentation, which is another big issue.

This latest case, however, goes much further than the standard vivisection argument. A whole raft of issues are involved. I also have dark suspicions about the concept of implanting microchips into the brain. Who can guarantee that a rogue person or organisation, even a rogue country, might not use such microchips to control human behaviour?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neuralink killed 1500 animals in its testing phase - by LPC - 12-07-2022, 09:03 PM