Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiana & Cupid's Babies
Tiana had 4 babies this morning and all are doing well. All of them are boars and good weights too.

[Image: 2013-12-14110238_zps4758a20c.jpg]
Cupid again! He has been a busy boy.Smiley31
I do not remember which female is Tiana. They are sweet looking babies, but all boars! Do I see the start of crests? They are good colours too. Is the lighter one lilac and cream? They do look a good size. They are a very nice litter.Heart
So is that the last litter of the year or do you have more girls due to deliver?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There is only Toffee (long haired) to deliver now that Glitter has had hers. Then it is a rest over Christmas and New Year and finding new homes for the surplus stock. A pair of sows will be leaving for their new home in Scotland on Saturday, just got to sort the pair out this week.
You have had a good finish to the year. All the new litters are really cute and you have a range of colours and types. Will Toffee's babies have long hair like mom?
I don't know how anyone can just choose one or two piggies. They all are so appealing.
So how do you get the sows to Scotland? Maybe it is not as far away from you as all that.
It is hard to know which ones to keep isn't it. There are so many things to consider. I vote for the cute little Dalmatians and the funny little curly ones, but I love the lilacs as well. Have fun choosing.Smiley4
Catherine

Scotland is very far away from me, it is several hours drive. The woman's daughter is coming from Alvechurch to pick them up and then she will be travelling to her mom's for Christmas. It will take them approximately 5 hours to reach just outside Edinburgh where they will stay overnight and then another 3 hours from there to Inverness where they live. She will be making lots of stops because she is also travelling with a 9 month old baby. As long as they have water, hay and pellets they should be okay.

I know instantly which piggies will be staying because they stand out for me. I have bought some more cages and stands so that I can move the ones I am keeping into separate cages, plus I am going to need a spare cage to put the bunnies when they have to be moved from mom which will be the 24th December.

On a sad note, I lost one of the babies the other day, one of Amber's litter, a red sow which I'd named Eccles. Just 8 weeks old. She was on the list to go. She was lying inside the house. No idea why because she was doing well, gaining weight every week, just one of those unfortunate things.
How lovely ...

Happy memories.... I had GP's as a boy.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Odd isn't it how one will die like that. I think guinea pigs are prone to sudden death. There never seems to be any indication that they are in trouble.

I am sure the long trip will be easier for the piggies than for the mom and baby. The daughter must really want to be home for Christmas to go that far with a young baby. Of course getting baby to grandma is a big incentive. Taking the piggies along is just a bonus to the trip.

I knew you would need more cages. There is always need to separate and sort litters out. Your sheds must be hives of activity right now.
Bunnies take a lot longer to mature and wean. That must make it harder to let them go.
It is good that you can keep the ones that stand out as special. It must be personality as well as looks. We always want to keep the characters who make us smile. Smiley4
Catherine

(12-17-2013, 02:51 PM)Catherine Wrote: Odd isn't it how one will die like that. I think guinea pigs are prone to sudden death. There never seems to be any indication that they are in trouble.

I am sure the long trip will be easier for the piggies than for the mom and baby. The daughter must really want to be home for Christmas to go that far with a young baby. Of course getting baby to grandma is a big incentive. Taking the piggies along is just a bonus to the trip.

I knew you would need more cages. There is always need to separate and sort litters out. Your sheds must be hives of activity right now.
Bunnies take a lot longer to mature and wean. That must make it harder to let them go.
It is good that you can keep the ones that stand out as special. It must be personality as well as looks. We always want to keep the characters who make us smile. Smiley4

The piggies arrived safe and sound in Inverness after two days travelling and was settling in really well in their new indoor enclosure.

I got three new cages and so far I am using the two smaller ones. I've bought a couple of stands so once I get them up I can put the cages on the stands with the one going in the old shed so I have extra room for the sows.

The kits were moved from mom on Xmas Eve into a large cage, temporary until they are sold. I have a spare hutch in the old shed where the pair I am keeping will stay. Space is very limited so can't really keep many of the bunnies and my guinea pigs are my main interest.
It would be so hard to choose which bunny to keep. Even spending more time with them wouldn't help. They are all so lovely.

I am glad you got more guinea pig cages. It gives you space to sort things out and separate piggies while you are choosing. I am glad everyone made it safe to Inverness.
Catherine