Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much would you pay to save your pet?
This is a very good point. I've always said that we would pay whatever it cost as long as it was for the pet's benefit and not just for us. For example, when Latte had a mammary tumour some years ago it cost us quite a few hundred pounds for her surgery and post op. medication, but she was well afterwards and lived for many years as a healthy, happy piggy. The same thing for Marigold just a few months later when she had a large skin tumour on her flank. We, in return, have had many years of the kind of love and affection from these girls that money could never buy. A great deal of amusement and entertainment and so many happy memories.
But when Ethel had her tumour in her jaw we could have done the same and had xrays, surgery and all the meds, but as the vet pointed out to us it would have made no difference to the outcome for Ethel. All it would have done would have been to satisfy our curiosity and assuage our conscience. Poor Ethel would have been put through weeks of pain, weeks of artificial feeding, and still have died of it. I'm so glad we spared her all that. Much as we miss her and wish she was still here I'm relieved that she has no more pain. If there had been any way to help here other than PTS we would have paid whatever it cost.
We are not rich, far from it, but our animals are such an integral part of our family that we feel we must.
Here in the UK our human health care is free at the point of use (ie we pay for it through our taxes and National insurance payments) but if it were not we would have to find a way to pay. We are lucky that the vet we use does his best to keep his cost to us as low as he can. He really is one of the good guys. His view seems to be that he is there for the animals and he doesn't see them just as a source of revenue.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much would you pay to save your pet? - by Cibach - 07-30-2014, 07:44 PM