Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greyhound racing industry takes cruelty to a new level
Angry Angry I am actually totally shocked. I thought I had heard the worst that the greyhound people could do to their dogs, but I was wrong. 
I just learned of a new horror. It is the only word I can think of that fits.  They use artificial insemination to breed the dogs. That is not uncommon.
However, they use a technique called SAI or surgical Artificial Insemination. The female is cut open, her uterus is pulled out, inseminated and then put back. 
The female is sewed back up, but she has a painful surgical incision. Do you think they give her pain killers?

In some countries this is banned, but not in Australia. In NSW, 80% of the greyhounds are bred this way.
Vets want it banned. People surveyed are no longer in favor of greyhound racing. 
Greyhound Racing NSW defends the practice. 

Grey2K has campaigned to shut down the American greyhound industry, with some success. Now they are focused of Australia and other countries where greyhounds still suffer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/j...d-vets-say

This article has some more details.

https://theconversation.com/this-surgica...sue-187930

Who thought this cruel practice up in the first place?
There should be no question about banning it. 
Why are such gentle creatures as greyhounds treated so cruelly.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My sister adopted a greyhound and my cousin adopted two of them,they both said they make great pets.
Good for your sister and cousin. They did a beautiful thing.
There are a lot of adopted greyhounds in Toronto. They are just the sweetest dog. I wish they were treated better. So many don't live to enjoy loving homes.
Sometimes I see people meeting up and walking their dogs as a group. Of course in the winter they are wearing really nice coats.
Catherine

The sooner this foul practice of insemination with incision ends the better. Presumably, now that the vet organisation has a policy against it, individual vets will refuse to do the necessary operations.
Quote:The sooner this foul practice of insemination with incision ends the better. Presumably, now that the vet organisation has a policy against it, individual vets will refuse to do the necessary operations.
I hope so. If no vet will do this then it has to stop. It is not something and untrained person would be able to do.
If they insist upon artificial insemination for breeding, the procedure used now is very simple and does not hurt the dog.
A vet would still be needed, but is is not invasive like the banned procedure.
Catherine