Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cat came back
Cougars were thought to be extinct in Ontario for the last 130, years.
There have been supposed sightings and rumors. There is even a reward for pictures or any kind of proof of a cougar.

Finally, there is proof. It is hard to spot the cat in the video, but the fact that there is one means there must be others. Also many of the other Sightings probably were real.
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/30/cou...in-ontario

Who knows what other extinct animals will turn out to be still alive.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's great news. I'm sure there are species that we think have gone but they've just become adept at hiding from us.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I can't get the video to load....wrong time of day! (terrible bandwidth here in the daytime) I will be able to watch it later.

They keep their distance from humans, mostly. Also predators like this mostly operate outside human time-schedules. So when they are out and about humans are inside, or asleep.
People I know have said they spotted a wild cat in my area! A large black cat apparently, looking like a Panther. I think I saw it once, a few years ago -I think 2008. But it was hard to see properly.
I was in a woods with Misty, collecting logs. It was late Autumn, and going dark. We were about to pack up and go home, and I was walking along a track with her, when suddenly I saw a dark shape run ahead of us across an intersecting track, about 30 ft away. The light was bad, especially under the trees, so this creature wasn't properly visible. I whistled, wondering if it was a dog, but there was no response. We were a long way from any habitation, and no human appeared, so it wasn't just someone with their dog, going for a walk.
It was hard to say what the creature was, but it was larger than a German Shepherd, ran close to the ground (unlike a deer) -with a flowing movement -cat-like.
Misty didn't see it, and I back-tracked, so she wouldn't catch its scent.
It seemed to want to get well away from us as quickly as possible.

I was a bit concerned for Misty's sake about going there for some time, in case she cornered whatever it was, accidentally. I knew she would probably come off badly in any confrontation.

I went back, however, to look for tracks in daylight, but there were so many fallen leaves it was impossible. I thought I scented it a few times. There was a smell-a bit like male cat's urine, only stronger and more musky.

I never saw it again.
I wonder what you saw. Any of the cat or even weasel/mink family would move like that. Cats are secretive at the best of times. They have such small feet they don't leave much of a track anyhow.

People have been claiming they have seen a cougar in Ontario for years. The video is short and dark, but it looks like a cougar.

So when people in an area see things, maybe there really is something there. It just doesn't want to be seen. Who can blame it. Hunters killed the last known cougars 150 years ago.
Catherine

I just watched the video. I saw the creature (bottom left) It looked like the real deal, all right.

No -the creature I spotted was BIG. Bigger than -for instance- a German Shepherd. Over the years, people are often saying they see a big cat about but apart from that one time, (and I can't be sure what it was, as it was going quite dark) I had never seen one. Also I have never found large cat tracks anywhere I have been around here, and I used to walk, and still do walk -a lot of ground in all weather, at all times of day.

In Britain, of course, if there was an animal loose like that, it would have been probably let free by some irresponsible person. A while ago, it was 'cool' to have an exotic pet, then new licensing came in. It's said some people let them go when that happened.
I did look like a cougar.

What you saw was big then. That eliminates a lot of possibilities. It could have been a big cat that someone let loose. Not a lion or Tiger however, more like an ocelot, margay, jaguar or panther. Maybe not a panther, I think they are more likely to attack a human. A black phase jaguar would make sense. If others have been seeing things for awhile then there must be something there.

A jaguar could live in the woods for years and feed itself and never really be seen. It would not attack a human unless it had to because it is not really big enough to hunt us. Cat tracks are hard to spot. They have such delicate feed for the size of them.

I wish we knew what it was.
Catherine