Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduced carp a serious problem
Carp were introduced to Australia in the 1800s. It was after flooding in the 1970s that they invaded river systems. They damage the rivers for native fish.
They deplete aquatic plants and degrade river banks. 
Controlling and containing them is not a simple issue. There is talk of releasing a carp virus to reduce their numbers. It could reduce their numbers, but what about all the dead fish. The dead fish would also do damage to the rivers.
Changing things like weirs to allow faster water flow could help reduce the carp.
This is complex and there is no simple solution.

https://theconversation.com/exploding-ca...pes-198067

This is another case of an introduced species damaging local environments and depleting local species. The carp were introduced, but no one at the time thought about what would happen to them. They would have no natural predators and they are capable of changing a river to suit their needs. 
I don't know how this problem can be solved. The carp virus presents itself as a solution, but is it? Can a virus be trusted to only do what we want it to do?
I hope whatever is done is well thought out. We don't want the solution to be worse than the problem.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is a serious problem and after the floods it's even worse.
I can see how the floods would allow the carp to spread to other streams. 
I cannot imagine why anyone would introduce carp into your rivers. It is not like they are trout or salmon that people want to eat.
Even desirable fish shouldn't be introduced, but at least I can understand why they would be wanted. 
Why did they introduce the carp?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine