Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kate has to go to the Vet
Oh right...it seems her appetite is not okay.
I hope the vet discovers what is wrong, and that Kate gets better soon. I hope it will be nothing much, and easily fixable.
I hope the vet can help. They may have a food supplement that will help. I hope there is nothing serious that is wrong. Keep us posted.
We are all hoping she gets better.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

They tried to get a sample of her poop to test it for parasites but they couldn't get her to go. So we are still trying to get a fresh sample but the vet said it was most likely a vitamin A deficiency. So I have to get these 2 vitamin powders. one is a better calcium powder and one is a multivitamin that has a good source of vitamin A. And of course I'll do that for all my other Leos too even though they are fine it will help them stay healthy. And it will make it easier for me to not have to keep up with who gets what.
They never poop when you need them to, do they.
So, a Vit A deficiency. Definitely the extra vitamins will help everybody.
I hope that Kate improves and starts to put on weight now. I know how you worry about her. Keep us posted.
Catherine

I have 2 new cricket foods that has plenty of calcium for the crickets to eat. And I have a better calcium powder to sprinkle on crickets and mealworms. I'm trying to find a better multivitamin but as of yet I haven't found it. Looks like I'm going to have find it online.
It can be hard to find good reptile vitamins. They need to be reptile vitamins because reptile needs are different than mammals. Can you find anything on line. There are products out there because we get vitamins here in Canada that are imported from the USA.

How is Kate doing. Is she eating?
Catherine

I hope Kate's appetite is improving and her body condition. I'm sure the extra vitamins will help.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Vitamins can make all the difference. Look how guinea pigs are with Vit C. I gave Pigbert Vit C supplements for the last year of his life and I think that is why he had a last year.
Catherine

If it's just pure Calcium Carbonate that you need for her, then egg shells ground to a powder are exactly the same thing. But that is labour-intensive if you have to make a lot at once. The egg shells have to be dried without scorching or burning, in an oven that was on and is switched off. Then they have to be ground with Pestle and Mortar. If you have a good Pestle and Mortar it is pretty easy.

I used to make this for Misty. When she was once diagnosed with very early stage kidney failure, the vet tested her blood phosphorus, and found it wasn't elevated. However I still had her on canine renal diet. But the vet said that sometimes she could have other things to eat such as scrambled egg, white fish and chicken breast. Whenever I gave her those things I put a sprinkle of the powdered egg shell on her food. Calcium Carbonate binds to Phosphorus in the system. I thought it would help to keep her Phosphorus levels low. I told the vet what I was doing, and he agreed.

The powder keeps ok in the fridge but won't keep endlessly. It would save money on buying special Calcium powder from the vet.

I hope Kate is doing okay??
The egg shell trick is good to know. Reptiles always have calcium issues. If neglected the results can be fatal.

Having a good source like the calcium in egg shells would make life easier.

I wonder if the egg shell calcium would work for other animals with renal failure? It might be something to think about. Cats are really prone to renal failure. So are a lot of people.

I hope Kate is doing okay.
Catherine