Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service dog vs severe allergies
This is an interesting dispute between a bride with severe dog allergies and a relative who wants to bring a service dog to the wedding.
Yes the law does say the dog can't be excluded from places, but it is a private event so yes it can be legally excluded.
Many people commented on the story. Most sided with the bride. She is severely allergic. She is the bride and must be at the wedding.
If the guest cannot be without the dog that he needs for his anxiety, then he can miss the wedding.

https://www.boredpanda.com/not-letting-m...gn=organic

These things can be complicated. If the bride just didn't want any dogs at her wedding that would be one thing. However, she has severe allergies.
I once was on a flight that was declared peanut free because one passenger had a severe allergy. That meant I couldn't eat a chocolate bar with peanuts in it while on that flight. Maybe I wanted that chocolate bar, but my wants had to take second place to a life threatening allergy.

This is where we have to balance the rights of service animals with the rights of others. If the bride had the dog and the guest had the allergy, then the guest could stay away. I don't think it helps the rights of service animals to force them into situations where their presence will cause harm to others. In the end that would work to undermine the rights of service animals. If anything happened to the bride because of the dog's  presence the negative publicity would do harm to the cause of service animals. If we want to maintain the rights of service animals, then there needs to be some common sense applied to some situations.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine