Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Ontario Wildlife survives the winter
Some animals migrate south. This group includes birds and butterflies. Some animals hibernate. Bears, bats and raccoons and many more do this. 
What can a Wood frog do. It freezes. It builds up sugar in its system as a natural anti-freeze and shuts down its organs. It essentially stops being alive, but its body is protected from damage by the sugar in its blood. I the spring it will thaw out and carry on.

Turtles lie on the bottom of a frozen pond where the water doesn't go below a certain temperature. Then they absorb oxygen from the water through their cloaca
They "breathe" through their butts.

Chickadees store food in many places and are able to remember where that food is. 
Other birds grow extra feathers or huddle together in groups.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/wi...-1.6735263

Somehow they make it through the winter. Even on the very coldest days this year I have had birds hopping all over my garden. I bet they have food hidden somewhere. I am careful not to disturb the frozen leaves. There could easily be frogs wintering there. I know the turtles are under the ice. I look forward to their return to the surface when the ice melts. Nature is adaptable.

I survive by wearing many layers of clothing when it gets really cold. It works for me.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine