Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Got Milk
I saw this really good video which has lots of information on dairy farms http://youtu.be/gkvIkerWT00 hope you like it too!
I will have to watch it tonight when I have time.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't wish to be impolite, and thank you, Kyna, for starting the thread, but it looks an advertisment for the Milk Marketing Board!

The reality of milk production is much harsher. Some cows never see the light of day (the ones in intensives), although many do get in the fields. All cows are forced to have calves every year of their "working" lives, and then killed when no longer productive. Almost all male calves are killed once they put on some weight, as they do not supply milk. The few males kept for artificial insemination are often to subjected to unpleasant procedures involving electric stimulation on a machine to obtain the semen: https://www.facebook.com/animalcrueltyno...3948634964

I live in the country and have actually seen these procedures, which are standard on most farms.

I could continue, but will refrain from saying any more. Thank you, Kyna, for drawing our attention to the video. Please do not allow my comments to discourage you from posting. I am only commenting on the fate of cows, calves and bulls.

Your videos are often very interesting. I look forward to your next posts. Every best wish to you!
The electro ejaculator thing and the artificial insemination of cows is so awful. Why can't the farmers let them simply mate naturally? Why do they have to do this to them? Because there are no fields for them? Or they haven't the patience to wait a little while and let nature take its course?
Fortunately in my area the farmers (well, the ones I am aware of) don't do that, and the cows in season are put with the bull in the field for a week or two.
But many times I have been caught up at milking time, when driving my car to the nearest village, and have had to park up and wait for the herd of cows to walk to the milking parlour. I switch off the engine and watch them. Some seem better and more cheerful than others, but some look very 'down', and some stumble a bit as if they are weary. Their udders are all too big, and cause difficulty walking in some of them. All of them have chafed udders that look sore.
I got to look at the video tonight. It shows an ideal of dairy cows being treated well. I am sure it sometimes happens that way. Although they do gloss over the fact that the calves are removed in two days.

Sadly we know about factory farming and most cows are not living the "ideal". The videos from that source are not meant to be controversial. So they do show the nicer side of everything. I think they are more trying to explain where milk comes from. If they showed a full factory farm they would probably scare the viewers off of milk forever.

I do think they have gone too far in breeding for big udders. It can't be too comfortable for the cow.
Catherine

Unfortunately, I don't know much about dairy farms in general. But I am familiar with a local dairy farmer's operation. And while I'm not a fan of huge corporate anything, I must say this dairy's operation seems quite animal friendly. I have personally witnessed their daily concern over their cows well-being.
The cows seem eager to come at milking time and are out to pasture most of the day. I'm not positive but I think they rotate the milking.
The cows all seem healthy and happy [although I'm not exactly sure how to determine a happy cow *wink*] well nourished and not weak in the least.
I'm not trying to defend anything in particular. Just saying that everyone has different ways of doing things, including large scale farmers.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I think there are animal friendly dairy farms. The cows live peaceful lives doing what cows do. Sadly there are mega farms where cows are a commodity and they are not treated well.
Let us praise the ones who do it right and encourage the others to change for the better.
Catherine