Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 3 months old dog food!
hi everyone.
I'm new here and I wannna know at what age is it most appropriate to transition a puppy from a milk re-placer or starter food to a formulated puppy diet, considering factors like breed size and overall development? Huh
Welcome to the Forum. I moved your post to the dog section. It is a better place for it.
You have some complex  questions and I will leave it to one of our dog people to actually answer you.

Generally though, it should depend on the products themselves. They would tell you how long to use their products before transitioning to solid food.
I would think a puppy needs teeth before it goes on to a puppy diet. 

I know more about feeding baby guinea pigs and they can eat solid food right from birth and yes they are born with teeth.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Welcome, peter.0.0. !

It would be helpful if you state:
the exact age of your puppy (in months and days - or give the date of birth);
his/her breed type(s);
current weight.

In general terms, puppies should be weaned at about four weeks old, but this can vary according to individual circumstances. Always check with a vet if in doubt.

Here are a couple of web pages which may help:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/puppy-raising
and
https://www.purina.com/articles/dog/pupp...s-wet-food

From the first of the above articles:
"Puppies should begin eating solid food about 3.5 to 4.5 weeks of age. Initially, make gruel by mixing a milk replacer with a small amount of puppy food soaked in water; place this mixture in a flat saucer. The puppies' noses should be carefully dipped into the mixture two or three times per day until they begin to lap; this usually takes one to three days. Next, place canned or dry puppy food in the milk replacer or water until it is soggy. As the puppies lap, they will also ingest the food. The amount of moisture should be decreased daily until they are eating the canned or dry food with little to no moisture added (usually by four to six weeks of age)."