Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamb-scapers used to maintain grass around solar panels
Conestoga College has a field of solar panels. It is hard to mow the grass around them. So they have decided to try another idea, They will graze sheep around the panels. The sheep will keep the grass at a good length and they will provide fertilizer. The sheep will be brought in for a number of two week stretches, as needed to maintain the area, The sheep will eliminate the need for herbicides or gas powered mowers.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/conestoga-c...-1.6858595

This is an every one wins idea. The grass gets mowed. The sheep get to graze. No toxic chemicals are used on the land and no gas mowers are used.
I know it is a pilot program, but it would be great if it became permanent. If it works, maybe other places will copy the method as a way of controlling grass.
It is working with nature, instead of against it. Working with nature makes it sustainable and beneficial to everyone.
You have heard of eco-goats, now there are lamb-scapers. I wonder what is next.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Indeed. An excellent initiative. In other countries, this has already been happening for some while.

Quote:Indeed. An excellent initiative. In other countries, this has already been happening for some while.

I am glad to hear that this is the copy and other places are already using sheep to mow grass. 
I am sure there are lots of ways we can work with nature like this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine