Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service dog removed from family because of serious weight gain
Sammy, a Service Dog was assigned to an Autistic child. When he entered the home he was 83 pounds. When he was removed, he was 129 pounds.
National Service Dogs tried to work with the family. They encouraged them to feed the dog properly. They tried to find ways the dog could be given regular walks. After several years they had to remove Sammy for his own good. With proper care Sammy's weight is improving, but there is damage to his joints and spine. Because of the damage, Sammy has been retired as a service dog.

The family tried to allege they were discriminated against, but the Human Rights Tribunal concluded that National Service Dogs acted in the dog's best interest.
There was no discrimination.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/disc...me-8652942

Sadly, Sammy will probably suffer some level of problems for the rest of his life because of the weight gain and lack of exercise.
He certainly had to retire from service while still a young dog. There are people out there who are on waiting lists for service dogs. It takes a lot of work to train them. It seems irresponsible to not look after a service dog if you are fortunate enough to get one. I know the family had a lot going on with an autistic child to look after, but Sammy was there to help them. The least they could have done was give him proper care. With the right food and some exercise Sammy would have stayed healthy. The child loses out and Sammy loses out. 
I know Sammy will be placed in a loving home. I hope the rest of his life is full of good food, good walks and lots of loving care.  He did the best he could. It is not his fault the people failed him.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine