Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School pets
I have mixed feelings about classroom pets. It is good for children to spend time with animals. However not all classroom pets are well cared for. If the hamster of fish is everyone's pet, then he is really no ones pet.
I am not sure to many of the tiny school pets have much of a chance at a happy life. They either get too much attention or they are forgotten. It is too easy for the person whose turn it is to fill the food or water dish to just forget to do it.
I think this article makes some good points about school pets.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news...d=11317834

I wish schools had pets that were well thought out as to suitability and proper set up and maintenance. That could make the whole thing a real learning experience. It could be a good life for the pet too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A good article. I too have my misgivings about classroom pets. I see exactly what you mean, and from reading the article, it becomes clear that some of these creatures are not provided for in a respectful way.

A teacher bringing his/her own pet to school, occasionally, might be a better idea. Not all animals like young children, or trust them however, and even -for instance- a dog with the sweetest nature can become overwhelmed and defensive, faced with a sudden onslaught of 6 year olds, and treat groping hands much the same way that they would treat young pups who were annoying. While that is perfectly acceptable in dog society, and not even considered aggression among a 'pack' it is a different matter when a young child goes home with a cut or bruised hand! Litigation isn't far away.
Children also sometimes take no notice of fair warnings animals most often give before doing something more serious.

There might be some exceptions, but basically my opinion is it's a bad idea.
I know reptiles are being used as class pets these days. It works out if someone takes responsibility and makes sure the reptile has what it needs. Often they don't get handled enough in the right way and you end up with a reptile that is no good as a pet and no one wants him.

I don't handle my reptiles all the time, but I am there with them and interact with them all the time. They have formed bonds with me. That is what is missing for a classroom reptile. It doesn't bond with anyone and has a certain amount of insecurity. It can work, but only if people work on making it work.

Little animals like hamsters are sometimes okay, but it can also be overwhelming for them. Maybe schools need the equivalent of a therapy dog for schools. Someone with a specially trained dog could visit the school regularly and give the children a pet experience.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine