Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chihuahuas arrive at the Toronto Humane Society
The Toronto Humane Society is able to take dogs from other over crowded shelters. So this time the THS has taken in 19 Chihuahuas from California.
I have posted the video so you can see the dogs. They are so cute. The link also lets you see other THS videos.

There are many wonderful shelters out there, all of then doing great work. This just happens to be the shelter that I support and give volunteer time to.
Oddly, I am doing gardening for the shelter and helping with tree pruning in the dog walking parks. We all give what we can.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is so helpful Catherine, to give some volunteer time to them. These Chihuahuas are very cute definitely. Bless them, and I do hope they will find happy homes.
My heart goes out to the people who give so much at these shelters, and to all those who do volunteer work. Every contribution, no matter how large or small helps the animals.
I get Amazon shopping vouchers as a Christmas gift from a group I help out with online. I forgot my 2012 vouchers so they had kept them for me, and so in 2013 I had double amount of money, and bought tons of stuff for the animals at my local rescue. There was so much. The rescue was so happy to get all that.
I think it's time I offered to do some cleaning and dog walking.
Toronto has a big population so we can easily find homes for rescue dogs. The biggest delay is getting the dog ready to go to a home.
I am sure the Chihuahuas will some be in loving homes. I will keep an eye on the web site and let you know.
Of course we can always take in more when these ones find homes. The THS transfers dogs in from other shelters regularly. The rescue groups are starting to work together. If one city has a big intake of animals they call on other groups to help. The cooperation is wonderful.

That is great that you are able to buy stuff for your local rescue. They must really appreciate the help. I think shelters feel better knowing people are out there wanting to help.
You would love the volunteering. Most shelters need dog walkers. You have dog experience and you are a good walker.

Right now I am putting in a flower garden back near the parking lot and the dog parks. The dog walkers get to see the garden when they come out with the dogs. People coming in to the spay/neuter clinic walk past it. It was just a patch of dead grass/weeds and now there are even rose bushes. It is 60ft X 6ft so it has taken a while to get it all planted. I still need to get more shrubs and roses.

I am also helping another volunteer with the trees in the dog parks. They needed a bit of pruning and cleaning up. There are four off leash dog walking areas and it is good for the dogs to be able to run and enjoy nature. Even a really good shelter is still a shelter. It must be confusing and scary for a pet to end up at a shelter. Anything to make the stay more pleasant is a good thing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine