Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catherine's Last Hamster
For eleven years, I bred dwarf hamsters for a small family owned pet store. When the store closed I stopped breeding hamsters by not putting new couples together. That was two years ago and gradually my breeding colony has died out from old age. Now after all this time I have only one dwarf hamster left. When he is gone all the descendants of my beloved Bunny, Mumsie and Andrew will be gone.
I will no longer be the Hamster Lady.
I will rescue hamsters from time to time, but they won't be my hamsters from my colony.

So here he is, Eric the last of his family.
[Image: IMG_0691.JPG]
Dwarf hamsters live about 18-24 months, usually. Eric is now 28 months old!
[Image: IMG_0694.JPG]
For his age he looks very good.
[Image: IMG_0696.JPG]
He is still pretty lively.
[Image: IMG_0697.JPG]
His fur is a little thin in spots, but he is still fuzzy enough.
[Image: IMG_0699.JPG]
I find myself wondering just how long he will live. Dwarfies seldom live this long.
[Image: IMG_0700.JPG]

Peter the wonder hamster made it to 31 months. Maybe Eric will break his record.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Eric The Last.
What a sweet little boy. And a terrific age for a dwarfie and he seems to be going strong. I hope he has many more days left to him.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Eric is a quiet little fellow, but he seems quite strong. Who knows how long he will last. At one point I had over a hundred hamsters and countless babies. Who knows how many children had a first pet because of my breeding colony. It seems strange to have only one hamster to care for.
I think he is going for the house record.
Catherine

What a sweet little boy he is.
He's still obviously enjoying life, and looks very well. They are lovely pictures of him.

As far as Eric is concerned, you will always be "The Hamster Lady" !
Quote:As far as Eric is concerned, you will always be "The Hamster Lady" !

Your right. I am still the hamster lady. I will always have a special love for dwarfies and Eric is a special little boy. It is funny that Peter from my first litters lived so long and Eric from my last litters has lasted so long.
Eric still looks good. When I feed the guinea pigs he gets a little treat from their veggies. He gets lots of his favourite seeds and some peanuts and tasty dried bagels. I have a whole box of dog biscuits for him. He does love his dog biscuits to chew on. He is a happy hamster. No wonder he has lived so long.
Catherine

Erice is just adorable!!
I know how hard it is to think of the end of a generation. I consider it often with our sweet Payne. She is the end of a line which started with her grandparents.
Dear Catherine, I see you as a wearer of many hats, "Hamster lady" is just one. You are so many things to so many different species of lovelies!!
Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Somehow I still see many more hamsters in your future. A new generation of course...but that's what life is all about, right?
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Quote:Dear Catherine, I see you as a wearer of many hats, "Hamster lady" is just one. You are so many things to so many different species of lovelies!!
Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Somehow I still see many more hamsters in your future. A new generation of course...but that's what life is all about, right?

I may wear many "hats", but I don't like to wear a hat. Smiley4

I am open to rescuing hamsters as the need arises. I have my best cages in storage. I can do any size of hamster or even a hedgehog. I could probably manage a Degu or Chinchilla. I don't need to seek them. They will come.
Catherine