Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind lost dog find its way home
She finds her way home with the help of a good shelter after four months of being lost on the streets. Who knows where she had been all this time.
http://www.heraldbulletin.com/community/...f887a.html

After four months they must have given up hope of ever seeing daisy again.
Good thing the shelter people checked past records.

I thought cats were the ones who can back after long absences.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is a very happy ending. Goodness knows where that dog had been for four months...
It does prove that anyone who has lost a dog ought not to give up easily, but keep checking with the shelters/rescues.
She had travelled a fairly long distance as well so it would do well to send the lost dog information out further that you expect the dog can travel. Maybe someone took her home and she left them trying to find he way back to her people.

Maybe some day there will be a lost pet registry that can seek out pictures of lost pets and compare them to shelter dogs. Od course it would be best to check the shelters in person. It would be good to take a special picture of your dog that can be used if it gets lost.

Of course micro chipping is still the best way to find a lost pet. It is becoming much more available so soon lost pets will have a better chance of coming home.
Catherine

(09-10-2014, 11:25 AM)Catherine Wrote: She had travelled a fairly long distance as well so it would do well to send the lost dog information out further that you expect the dog can travel. Maybe someone took her home and she left them trying to find he way back to her people.

Yes that's so true. Sometimes a dog can be stolen, driven to entirely different area, then dumped, or escapes. It's always wise to check over a large area as well as the place the dog was first lost.
In the UK there is a lost dogs website called "DogLost" (http://www.doglost.co.uk) and it includes lost dogs over the whole country. But it is long hard work checking and re-checking the 'lost' pictures, with those descriptions on the 'found' page. There are so many new ones each day.

(09-10-2014, 11:25 AM)Catherine Wrote: Maybe some day there will be a lost pet registry that can seek out pictures of lost pets and compare them to shelter dogs. Od course it would be best to check the shelters in person. It would be good to take a special picture of your dog that can be used if it gets lost.

That would be an excellent idea. I hope something like that is developed. I guess it would be time consuming for shelter staff, but sounds like a good solution, and could even ease the overcrowding problem if it worked out.

(09-10-2014, 11:25 AM)Catherine Wrote: Of course micro chipping is still the best way to find a lost pet. It is becoming much more available so soon lost pets will have a better chance of coming home.

Microchipping is definitely the best way. All stray animals are scanned at shelters, as far as I know. And it would also help in the case of a stolen dog, if the microchip data didn't match the person's details who brought the dog into a vet, for example. Now what would be great, is if every vet would automatically scan a new pet for all clients on their registry!
I know shelters automatically scan for micro chips and many pets are found that way.

Taking a picture and doing a description of your pet would be easier if the pet was still with you. It could be done just in case the pet gets lost. That way you would be all ready to start searching right away.

The Doglost list is a great idea. It might take work to find a pet on the list, but if it was my dog I was looking for I am sure I would not mind the time needed.

The dog was lost 4 months and was far from home. I hate to think of someone stealing her or just dropping her far from home. How else would a blind dog travel so far?
What a relief that she made it home.
Catherine