Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Yard' dogs...not such a good idea
I hope this doesn't sound preachy, but I felt it was important to mention this.
Anyone who isn't too fond of exercise, and has an energetic dog, or few dogs -please consider changing your habits. Some people who have a large garden or 'yard' put their dog or dogs out there and imagine they will be happy running about all day and playing.
This isn't such a good idea, as dogs are pack animals, need human guidance and structure, and decent satisfying exercise, and if left alone out there for hours each day will become lonely and unbalanced dogs.
And it isn't any better if there are two or three dogs either. What will happen is that in the absence of a 'leader' for long periods of time they will revert to 'pack' behaviour. One will take the place of 'leader' and whatever that one does, the others will follow. You end up with a little gang of hooligans! I am not kidding.
This can also result in 'noise nuisance' and cause conflict with neighbours. The sound of dogs barking endlessly can be heard over quite a distance. Sometimes barking is an energy outlet for a dog who desperately needs to go for a decent walk with its human!

I have seen too many people turn their dogs out all day alone, or in little packs, in yards or gardens.
You are quite right. Dogs are a pack animal. We need to be their pack leader. Leaving them alone all day is not reinforcing that. I can see how a group of dogs in a garden all day would become a wild uncontrolled group.
One dog alone all day is unthinkable. It would be so lonely.

Dogs need walks with people. If someone wants a solitary pet, they should get a cat. Although, cats need our love too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine