Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition - Don't Send Crying Elephant Back to Abusive Owner
Hi again everyone.

This is another petition I just had to post here.

Does anyone here remember the story of Raju - the elephant who wept tears of joy after having the chains removed that had been wrapped around his legs for 50 years and being saved from his abusive owner who used to beat him? His owner did not even provide sufficient food for Raju, so the poor elephant resorted to eating plastic bags when starving.
It took rescuers 45 minutes to remove the chains that had been cutting into Raju's flesh for 5 decades.

Raju was freed from his life-long suffering and misery, and taken to a Wildlife SOS centre, where he has been since been living happily and healthy with several other elephants to keep him company.

The former owner of Raju has now launched a legal battle - insisting that Raju is "he's property" and therefore he wishes to repossess Raju.

The first court hearing was on Thu 4th September - and it is not clear yet when the case will be settled.

Raju can not be allowed to return to his cruel abusive owner - he's tears of joy upon being freed from his hell touched the hearts and minds of the entire world.

Please sign the petition ASAP below to stop Raju from being taken back to hell.
http://forcechange.com/132460/save-e...96358349#gf_15

Thank you everyone.

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede
I was just reading about this and thinking I should post it. Thank-you for beating me to it.

I can't believe they would consider sending Raju back to an abusive owner. Why don't they charge the guy with animal abuse instead.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just signed. Catherine is right. Why has this man not been charged?
The whole thing makes no sense. What judge would even consider it.
Catherine

I have also signed. Raju was released from years of painful life. I ask that the man who calls himself Raju's 'owner' will be filled with compassion and see Raju's needs now.
I am sure the petition will be successful. I have just posted it to Twitter too.
I hope the power of the internet really prevails in this case.

After all the years Raju suffered, he deserves a peaceful end to his life.
Catherine

Latest update: http://www.wildlifesos.org/blog/rajus-co...se-delayed

This of course was yesterday, so unless the court case has been delayed again, it must have taken place by now.

I'm keeping my eye on this page for any further info/updates on the situation.

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede
I have heard no more news tonight. I am hoping he will stay free. It is unthinkable to let his previous caretaker take him back! But sometimes the 'law' can be more concerned with an animal being someone's 'property' than concerned with the animal's welfare.

There was a case in the USA when a caring woman stole a dog who was chained constantly, could not move, and was obviously suffering. The 'law' demanded that she give the dog back. (The dog at that stage, was at someone else's home being looked after well, and had recovered and was happy.) She refused to give the dog back, and was found guilty of theft (of property), and sentenced to hundreds of hours' community service -with no relation to animal causes!
I have forgotten the details of that case. I shall try to find it.
The Law often seems to lack common sense.
What is obvious to any normal person just doesn't seem to occur to the courts. The woman should have been given a good citizen award, not sentenced to community service.

Raju deserves to be free of his abusive owner. The man should be charged. Maybe there is a lesson here. It is not enough to rescue an animal. We need to go after the abuser so that they cannot take the abused animal back. Then the animal abusers would be doing community service.....and maybe it would do them some good.
Catherine

I searched Google for the past 24 hours - still no news....