Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bee Rescue
I was listening to the radio and they mentioned a group in Toronto called Toronto Bee Rescue. I did not know they existed. I know there are hive on highrises in Toronto. I did not realise how much "Bee" activity there is.

http://www.torontobeerescue.ca/

I am posting the video separate because it is so important that people see it.
I couldn't get the video to post separately. To see it you need to click on the kick starter project. It is worth seeing as it explains what they are doing.

I am going to try and send some money. I feel better knowing that some out there is working to help the honey bees.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A very good cause. I remember reading somewhere that - paradoxically - bees are currently faring better in towns than in the countryside, as the dangerous insecticides still used (especially in the USA; I don't know about Canada) are not sprayed so widely in urban areas. In Europe, where the worst chemicals have been banned, bees are beginning to recover, but it could take decades to restore the damage.
It's good to hear a project like this is happening in Toronto. I hope there will be other groups worldwide who will also start similar projects.

It's true that bees do well in urban areas. Apart from there being fewer pesticides in towns and cities, the bees also find more varied forage, thanks to parks and many garden areas -even potted shrubs and plants on peoples' roof gardens etc. In countryside, often huge areas of land are given over to one single crop, or are just grassland, with most 'weeds' (thus wild flowers) removed.
I think most pesticides are banned in the city. The park areas are being allowed to grow wild with flowers. Whole neighbourhoods are working to plant bee/butterfly/bird friendly plants. So the bees can survive in the city.
With a bee rescue group working to help the bees they will do any better.
I am sure that Toronto is not the only place to have Bee Rescues. I think we have great cause for hope in the long run.

How odd that the cities will be able to save the country. We will have the bees that are needed to pollinate the crops.
Catherine

They sent me a new video. I always wondered ho you rescue a hive of bees.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/133...?ref=email

I wonder who thought up the "Bee Vacuum"?
Catherine