Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal First Aid
I might be wrong but I think Tiggywinkles might be from a Beatrix Potter story.
Of course, Beatrix Potter. I had forgotten about her. I loved her stories. She wrote a book called The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkles.

No wonder the name is associated with hedgehogs. The same is true of rabbits. I always think of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny whenever I think about rabbits.

All her stories were wonderful.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for dogs.

http://youtu.be/OWSfxc8rElY

This video clearly illustrates what to do. The first thing is NOT to panic, but to diligently follow these steps, then you have a good chance of saving your dog's life.:

Lie the dog on his/her right side.

1. Check the dog for any signs of breathing. Can you see the chest moving even slightly up and down? Can you hear breathing? Feel if breath is coming out of the nose. If not....

2. Check to see if the mouth is clear of any obstruction. If any obstruction is there pull it out.

3. Put hands round the snout to make a 'tube' with the hands, then give 5 breaths into the nose.

4. See if signs of breathing are back. If not.....

5. Check the Femoral artery for a pulse. The femoral artery is located on the inside of the top of the thigh. If there is no pulse yet.....

6. Locate the position of the heart. This is on the left side, and is easily found by bending the dog's leg, and the heart's position is where the elbow meets the body.

7. With both hands locked as illustrated, give 5 heart compressions.

8. Follow this with a breath, and do another 5 heart compressions, and another breath.

9. Check for a pulse again.

10. If not....5 more heart compressions -and so on, repeating the procedure if necessary.....

(I think Knight of Albion's thread could be made into a completely separate forum? "ANIMAL FIRST AID". Then it will really stand out to any visitors to the main forum index. But I am sorry to say I have forgotten how to do that! Silly me! Help please, if everyone agrees of course....)
I may post this also, in the meantime, on the "Dogs" section.
I like the idea of having an animal first aide section. Good thing you thought of it.

I know how to do it. Give me time to eat and sleep and I will sort out how to set it up. I don't know why we didn't think of it sooner. Would it be at the top of the animal section? I think that makes sense.
Catherine

Was it you who set up this new section Catherine? Thanks, because I went 'blank' when I thought of how to do it! But it's okay now, I have worked it out!
I set up the new section, but I wanted it to be top of the animal section and I can't seem to make that happen. If you can remember how to move it, please do. It is fine at the bottom, but we are sure to add new animal sections and then it will be stuck in the middle.

Even if we don't move it, a first aid section is still a good idea.
Catherine