Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Polar Bears arrive at Winnipeg
The Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg has become a real Polar Bear rescue site. They have just taken in two more cubs whose mother is missing. Without their mother they would not survive in the wild so I am glad there is a place for them to go.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1595267/new-po...-park-zoo/

I am sure we will be hearing more about them in the future. They look like they are going to be fine with the right care.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Aren't they lovely?
I do like the idea of zoos evolving to become places where animals are no longer trapped in poor conditions the whole of their lives -but places of sanctuary and rescue for individuals and species who really need our help.
Quote:I do like the idea of zoos evolving to become places where animals are no longer trapped in poor conditions the whole of their lives -but places of sanctuary and rescue for individuals and species who really need our help.

That is what is happening with zoos now. They have become front runners in the field of conservation and education. They take in endangered species and give them a chance at life. Zoos are also involved in putting animals back into the wild. The offspring of orphaned and zoo raised animals can actually be returned to the wild sometimes.
Right now with the polar bears, at least there is a place they can go when they are orphaned.
Catherine

Beautiful baby bears. These days zoos have a big responsibility to preserve and conserve and reintroduce where possible. Great to see it in action.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Yes, the orphaned bears wouldn't stand a chance in the wild. If a lone male came upon them (I think) there is a good chance he would kill them. Thank goodness humans do 'interfere' sometimes.
Quote:Yes, the orphaned bears wouldn't stand a chance in the wild. If a lone male came upon them (I think) there is a good chance he would kill them. Thank goodness humans do 'interfere' sometimes.

A lone male would kill an orphan and eat it. He would do it if the mother was inattentive and let the cub stray to far. Life in the north is harsh. There is no room for careless mothers or orphans who will use up recourses and still not survive.

The big licenced zoos are doing a lot for conservation and education. I don't include little roadside or mini zoos in this. That is a whole different thing. The big zoos trade information and have learned a lot about how to keep animals alive and thriving in captivity. I don't think of it as captivity. I think of it more as assisted living.
Programs to save species and return them to the wild are a big part of what the zoos are doing. Toronto Zoo has Vancouver Island Marmots. It is a major conservation effort and I doubt any of the animals will ever be on display. We may be able to keep the Marmots from extinction and increase their numbers.
Catherine