Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superhuman
Watch this jaw-dropping bodyweight workout video.

The young man's name is FRANK MEDRANO and he has attained an astonishing level of strength, fitness and agility.

By the way, Frank is a vegan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPsvF3UOdo#t=238
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Amazing video! Frank certainly shows us we don't need to eat meat to be strong, graceful, and healthy. The way of compassion is stronger.
He is incredibly strong. I would be interesting in finding out what he does eat.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Usually on a well thought out vegan diet, daily protein isn't too much of a problem. The protein is all plant-based, and sometimes needs combining (wholemeal with lentils....lentils with nuts....seeds with beans....beans with brown rice...etc etc) Vegan food is incredibly tasty and doesn't have that 'fatty aftertaste' which meat can have. Much can be done with Wheat gluten to make protein rich burgers, roasts etc for those who need a bit of help in changing from eating meat. I know 'wheat gluten' does not sound very appetising and wouldn't be a good idea for someone with gluten sensitivity. But when it is made into meals it is very tasty. Then there is Soya based protein, and from other sources.
Nuts are incredibly good protein. Beans and lentils also. Vegan staples!

The only tricky bit about a vegan diet is making sure Vitamin D -especially D3 is included, Omega 3 oils, Calcium and B12. Many vegan foods contain Calcium, and some even small amounts of Omega 3.
If unsure, then these can all be taken as supplements, and sufficient Vitamin D can (in summer) be obtained from sunlight. But people with very dark skin will need more sun exposure. A little sun is good for us! But it's wise to take a supplement in winter.
It's interesting because mushrooms left for an hour or so in direct sunshine will increase tremendously in their vitamin D content!
I have to take Vitamin D supplements anyhow. Canada has to short a time when you can be outside getting natural Vit D. Actually I take Vit D3, I understand that is the form that is the most helpful. I certainly have felt better since I started taking it.

Yes there are lots of alternatives for protein. I have Neighbours from India and they are vegetarian much of the time. All their meals contain nuts and grains and lentils in varying amounts and combinations. Even if most people never become vegan or even vegetarian there are many reasons why a shift away from an animal based diet are good.

Clearly a vegan diet is healthy and doesn't affect your strength. We would have to think about what we eat though.
Catherine

Well I never ...

I've fired wide!

Done a bit of 'further research' and it seems "young Frank" is actually 60!
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Well that is quite amazing. He looks about 20!
WOW!
(10-12-2014, 03:30 AM)Catherine Wrote: Clearly a vegan diet is healthy and doesn't affect your strength. We would have to think about what we eat though.

That's where supplements come in handy. They take the worry away, about possibly not getting enough of the right nutrients. If a good supplement is taken daily then it's okay.
My problem is I probably can't eat sufficient quantities of the vegan foods that contain the essential nutrients (like Calcium, Omega 3 etc) i.e. for my age I would need 1,200mg daily of Calcium.
All these contain 100mg of Calcium:
Almonds...2 1/2 tablespoons
Broccoli...2 generous portions.
Chickpeas...3/4 can.
2 good sized oranges.
Tofu ...(half a pack=300mg.)
Greens....Large portion.
Watercress...3/4 of a bag.
Bread...2 good slices.
Green Beans....2 cups.
Red Kidney Beans...1 1/2 cups.
Cooked Spinach ....1/2 cup.
Tahini....2 dessertspoons.

So basically I would have to eat most things on this list every day. And I couldn't always do that.
I would have to eat 4 full meals, or huge meals to get enough. Though I do eat well, I can only manage 2 meals, plus a snack or two. When I used to eat fish and cheese it was certainly easier to get the quota. That's where supplements help.
If he is sixty then he is even more remarkable.

Calcium is always an issue. I doubt I could give up dairy products. I can only eat small amounts of most of the foods on the list. I can never eat all the things that I need in a day. I have trouble getting enough calories. I am not a big eater. I need to eat four meals a day, but who has that kind of time.

I am sure good supplements help. I know Vit D3 tablets have really helped.

Why cooked spinach? Is raw spinach just as good. I like my spinach as a salad with other raw vegetables.
Catherine

Oh yes, raw spinach would be just as good. It shrinks down a lot when it's cooked so I guess 'half a cup' of cooked spinach would be the same as a generous double-handful raw(?)
I never saw anything curl up and try to disappear like spinach!