Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal 'Hospice Care' -a new approach.
Dr Lynn Hendrix -with Beloved Pet Mobile Vet in California, has concentrated on end-of-life (or "Hospice" care) for beloved animals. She recognised that many veterinarians were either focused on conserving life....or euthanasia, but there was very little offered in the way of hospice consultation.
Her work bears both the animal's and caretaker's welfare in mind.

I feel this is quite important, as in my own experience, vets are not always geared to providing end of life care. It is often left to the caretaker to make important decisions, which can be a heavy burden on some, and can even prolong grieving, if it is felt the wrong decision was made. Depending on circumstances, an animal in end-of-life care can have a gentler and more gradual end to their life, with decent quality of life. It is not always a "black or white" situation.
(What mattered very strongly to me just after Misty passed was that I had not one regret about her care or treatment.) So many people do not have this.

Read about Lynn Hendrix and her work here:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/learnin...e?pageID=1
This is wonderful news, a vet would gives end of life care to the pet and by doing that gives lose of pet care to the owner. The real problem with euthanasia is how sudden it is. We do not have time to process the whole situation. Sometimes it is the only thing to do. In that case it is okay. It is those situations where with help the pet could have a little more time with the owner, that time is needed.

I am glad vets are starting to understand that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

About euthanasia, I have heard it said by many that it is "better a day too early than a day too late."
But I have also noticed many animals in end-of-life care who are still getting an awful lot out of life -even though they may have many restrictions in some areas. But some -even though they may have a 'terminal' diagnosis, are not in pain at all, and don't know anything is wrong with them until the very end, as was the case with Misty.

But there are variables. It's nice for many people to have someone with good experience, to turn to for expert advice and support at those times. Situations can change very quickly in terminal illness.

Also, there are practical considerations. Some people cannot take 2 months off work to care for an ailing pet, and during hospice care it's best the animal isn't left alone for very long....

It is a difficult scenario sometimes.
I just think that it is good that there are choices.

Quote:About euthanasia, I have heard it said by many that it is "better a day too early than a day too late."
Yes this is true if the animal is really suffering. It is just that there is sometimes a grey area where an animal could be kept comfortable and both pet and owner would have time to prepare and say goodbye.
It wouldn't change the loss, but sometimes you just wish you had time to say goodbye.

Most of my pets have died naturally. Lizards, snakes, guinea pigs and hamsters are fragile and they seem to go quickly. Jonathan my Bearded Dragon had a stroke. She had a couple of bad days and then she improved and we had a few good days together and then she was gone. Those few good days were very precious to us both. If I had rushed in and had her put down, we would have missed those special last days together.
Catherine

Thanks for starting a valuable thread, Tobi. As Catherine says, "there is sometimes a grey area where an animal could be kept comfortable and both pet and owner would have time to prepare and say goodbye". The type of supportive care the thread mentions could well help fill a much needed gap.
That kind of care would give people time to accept euthanasia. Many people suffer guilt for years after their pet was put down. They keep trying to justify what they did. Even if it was the right choice, it is often too quick for a person to process.

I hope this is an idea that catches on. Death should be a transition that everyone is ready to accept.
There will still be times when an animal must be put down right away because of extreme suffering. I wonder if people do not get their pets end of life help because they know they will be told to put their animal down and they wait until the situation is desperate because they are not comfortable with the decision.
Catherine

People are often torn in two over the decision to end their friend's (family member's) life. Some vets are also good Counsellors. Some are more 'scientific', and once the diagnosis is given, they can only offer their opinion. My vet was good. He was upset when Misty was finally diagnosed. But he said not one word to push me in any direction. In fact, his words were optimistic to a certain extent. But I knew. I sensed it. I told him we would take it day by day. I knew she had -maximum -two weeks. I was ready. But under the surface I don't think I was quite ready. Neither was Misty! She wanted to start to feel a bit better -get some more food -go out in the field! That's what she gave off, and that is exactly what I let her have.
In our case, 'hospice care' was short-lived, but well worth it. But I did get into gear with her, and was prepared. In our case, we wouldn't even have had much chance to take advantage of an animal hospice worker, even if there had been one available.

Her last days were very peaceful, happy, and she suffered no pain until the last few hours....and I think we both needed those days in order to adjust. She -to letting go of the world....me to letting go of her.
They were actually lovely gentle days.

It would have been different if it had been a sudden emergency situation. Then no-one has time to adjust. It just is.

But I do think that someone professional that an animal caretaker can turn to for advice would be helpful to many, and lessen their burden, and make their grieving easier to bear.
I think even the few good days you had with Misty were a real gift. They gave you both a chance to transition. I don't think hospice care needs to be long or short. It just needs to be so that we can have time to accept what is happening.

I had a few good days with Jonathan and I treasure them. Joe No Toes(my first snake) died suddenly of a stroke, with no warning. From the first incident to the end was less than an hour. He died in my arms, but it was too sudden to process. His death hit me very hard.

I still feel the shock of an animal that I had to have euthanized. I know I did the right thing, but it does not have the element of peaceful acceptance that other deaths have for me.

I think the animals might want a little more time to be ready too.
Catherine