Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal 'Hospice Care' -a new approach.
People are often torn in two over the decision to end their friend's (family member's) life. Some vets are also good Counsellors. Some are more 'scientific', and once the diagnosis is given, they can only offer their opinion. My vet was good. He was upset when Misty was finally diagnosed. But he said not one word to push me in any direction. In fact, his words were optimistic to a certain extent. But I knew. I sensed it. I told him we would take it day by day. I knew she had -maximum -two weeks. I was ready. But under the surface I don't think I was quite ready. Neither was Misty! She wanted to start to feel a bit better -get some more food -go out in the field! That's what she gave off, and that is exactly what I let her have.
In our case, 'hospice care' was short-lived, but well worth it. But I did get into gear with her, and was prepared. In our case, we wouldn't even have had much chance to take advantage of an animal hospice worker, even if there had been one available.

Her last days were very peaceful, happy, and she suffered no pain until the last few hours....and I think we both needed those days in order to adjust. She -to letting go of the world....me to letting go of her.
They were actually lovely gentle days.

It would have been different if it had been a sudden emergency situation. Then no-one has time to adjust. It just is.

But I do think that someone professional that an animal caretaker can turn to for advice would be helpful to many, and lessen their burden, and make their grieving easier to bear.

Messages In This Thread
Animal 'Hospice Care' -a new approach. - by Tobi - 10-12-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Animal 'Hospice Care' -a new approach. - by Tobi - 10-16-2014, 09:51 AM