Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been away
So I've been very busy as of late. And I have some exciting news. I have not only been accepted into a dog training program but I've already started as of October 6th. Animal Behavioral College is amazing. When I'm done with the main program I can specialize in dealing with aggressive dogs. Today I took the first text which was due the 20th but I got done early. Based on how easy it was I will probably be getting the tests done way ahead of time from now on.
I'm so excited I get to finally do what I've always wanted. It will take about 10 months to go through the program but it can take as little at 7 or as much as 12 months. But that's based on availability and if I need an extension 18 months. But I can see myself finishing early depending on the externship training part. It's online for the first part then there's the externship with a trainer and volunteer at a local shelter. The externship is scheduled separately so I could get done with the online part and have to wait on the externship until they have a free trainer.
Libby, I am so happy for you. [Image: smiley-happy080.gif][Image: smiley-happy080.gif][Image: smiley-happy106.gif]
I know this is what you really want to do. This is what you are good at.

The program sounds like it was put together just for you. Online courses really let you move at your own pace don't they. No doubt you will finish early.
I am sure an externship will open up at just the right time with a really good teacher. You have to keep us posted. I so much want to hear how the program is going and what you are learning.

This couldn't happen to a more deserving person. You just have a feel for dog behavior and this course will help you to get work where you can do the most good.Smile
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Best wishes to you! I think you are well suited to your new choice of career.
What an interesting and exciting thing to do, Libby! You will be helping many dogs, and their caretakers. I wish you all the very best with that work.
I've been working hard studying and in just a couple months I will be working with a trainer with real dogs and clients!! I'm so excited!!
Very best wishes for success in your next phase of training!
This is great news Libby. I am really happy that this is working out for you. You are someone who should be working with aggressive dogs. You seem to have an instinct for it. With the training you will be able to get a job. I just know you will save many dogs that would have been lost otherwise.

Keep us posted when you can. We always love to hear about what you are learning.

How is Mia?
Catherine

Mia is great. In fact I talked to my externship adviser the other day and I need an untrained dog to take with me to work with. So Mia gets to go with me to be my dog in training. I'm so excited. She's really perfect for this. She is already simi-trained but not to high standards like this would be. I could get her canine good citizenship certificate and have her be a service dog. And that would mean I could take her everywhere. I'm so excited to get started.

I'm trying to decide between trainers right now. There are different styles. Group training and shelter. Then there are two of each that also offer private lessons. During this I also have to volunteer at a shelter. So I'm leaning towards the group/private style because I will be teaching the shelter dogs what I learn from there and I will kinda get to be around all 3 settings. Plus the group/private is closer. And after I graduate I will enter into an aggressive dog dog training class so I can specialize in aggressive dogs so I'll get plenty of exposure. Also the shelter I'm leaning towards specializes in rehabilitating high needs meaning lots of them are aggressive dogs. Clover for Rover. Not sure if they'll take me but I'm going to try.
Great news about Mia. It will be good for both of you if you can take her to work. She would benefit from the training and you will really love getting a chance to fully train her.

It is all working out beautifully for you. I hope you get the program/trainer you want. I know you want to work with aggressive dogs. If you can get the right training you can get into the aggressive dog program. That would be so good. You are the right person to work with aggressive dogs. You see the possibility in all of them. You must have to believe a dog can be helped before you can really help it and I think you really believe that all dogs can be fixed.

Keep me posted about you program. This is so exciting.

You probably missed it, but I have a pair of Diamond Doves. The little female lost her mate and needed a home so I took her. The reptile centre gave me the male as a Christmas gift and he has bonded with the female and they are very happy together.
Catherine

Yes I am so very excited. If every things works out like I'm hoping it does I could be a fully certified dogs trainer by the middle of this year working with a company for a couple years and then eventually start my own business. I'd almost kinda like to be a promotional speaker and trainer to help dogs all over but we shall see what happens this year before I get ahead of myself.

I did miss it. I haven't dove too much onto the rest of the forum just yet cause I'm so behind. That's really cool. It's good she's taken to the male so well. I'll have to look for your post about them.