Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been away
Good luck with your work, Libby, and all my best wishes to you. I really admire what you're doing.
It is wonderful how things are all working out for you. It is going to be great when you can run your own business and work with dogs the way you want. Who knows what all you will end up doing.

The dove post is in the chicken section. I will be doing a new post soon. I want to get a better set of pictures. Doves are not that easy to photograph. All you can see is bars. The cage they are in works, but it is not a real bird cage. I want to find something better, but I only want to move them once so it does need to be the right cage. I am not sure if I will move them to a different room. I need to get to know their needs first.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Its been a while since Ive updated. For the most part im done working with a dog trainer I just need to finish up my training hours and pass the final exam and I will be a certified dog trainer! Im so excited. I didnt think that this time last year I could be this close to becoming a dog trainer.
It's nice to see you back, Libby!
Becoming a dog trainer is a really great thing to do. It must have been hard work but fascinating to work with the trainer. Good luck with your final exam!
Quote:Its been a while since Ive updated. For the most part im done working with a dog trainer I just need to finish up my training hours and pass the final exam and I will be a certified dog trainer! Im so excited. I didnt think that this time last year I could be this close to becoming a dog trainer.

I knew you would make it. If ever there was someone who is meant to be a dog trainer, it is you. Once you are certified you will be able to help so many people and dogs. I know it has been your dream to help dogs and even though it has been a long course, you have really worked at it. You are going to be a good dog trainer.Smiley321887

Keep us posted about your exam and the final training. What are you working on right now.
Catherine

So an update. I've been working on becoming a dog trainer. Part of that is volunteering at at a rescue to work one on one with adoptable dogs that need a bit of training and to help them bond with a potential owner faster. As I have been working with these dogs one dog stood out the most. Crazy Eddie is about 4-5 years old Miniature Pincher. He's been at the rescue for 3 years. He's been adopted out twice and brought back both times. The thing with Eddie is he is very untrusting of new people. Which is horrible for a dog that needs a home. He's also been in several dog fights. I've been told and more incidents with him and he could be put down. When I first saw Crazy Eddie he saw me and backed out to the outside part of his run and growled and barked at me. He was very scared and wanted nothing to do with me. Armed with only treats I began tossing a few into the run. I'm guessing the food was more enticing than the threat of me standing there. Little by little I got him closer and closer until I was able to feed him from my hand though the fence. Someone, thankfully, walked by and closed him off to the outside part of his run which he was not happy about and began he growling and barking but he still wanted the treats so he gave up quickly.

The next step was to open the door and get into the run with him. I opened the door and he started backing away and growling and barking. I just sat there with my hand out and a treat waiting. once he realized I wasn't coming any further in he started to relax. I eased closer and closer let him get comfortable and then push him a bit further. Occasionally he would get snippy and I would hold my ground where we left off and just wait a bit longer until he was comfortable again. Getting his collar on was a trick. I had to lure him into it with treats. then getting out of the run I had to lure him out then reassure him that he would be able to go back in. So when walked in and out of the kennel for quite some time luring him out then waiting then back in just increasing the about of time out each time before he was ready to move on to outside.
Once I got him outside he was still very nervous and scared but was doing well. I focused on luring him to me most of the time. I was very excited when he started putting his paws on my knee to get closer. It was 45 minutes be he finally let me pet him without a treat. I had to go slow and only pet his chest but it was progress. Finally I could tell he was getting close to getting full so I returned him to his run and the dreaded getting the collar off. He has snipped at me when putting the collar on so I knew it was going to be about the same getting it off. For about 20 minutes I struggled and couldn't get it off. Then I thought to put the leash though to help lift it over his ears and to put treats on the ground so he's distracted and it's less likely to get caught on his ears and undo all the trust I just built. 5 minutes I had his collar off. It was exciting seeing in just an hour and a half ho much he opened up to me.

The next day I worked with him he was like a completely different dog. I walked in and he was jumping up and down excited to see me. I walked in his kennel with no problems. I tried the same trick to get his collar on as I had to get it off. No problems. when I opened the kennel door for us to leave he was a bit hesitant but was ready to go without food lure. I still worked on going in and out but he was fantastic. I walked outside no problem. I leaned down to get level with him and he put his front paws on my knee to get closer. I was immediately able to pet his chest and side. I couldn't believe my eyes. If he had changed that much over an hour and a half with me and then 3 days later be the much improved I knew he wasn't hopeless. I bragged on him so much both days. I can't wait to work with him again. He's going to be a hard dog to place but I know he can find a good home. He just needs a patient owner and no kids.
I'm happy for you Libby, that you are in the career of your choice and that you are doing something very important.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I was thinking about you and wondering how it was going. I know you have been very busy with your training.
I am glad you are getting to work with the dogs now. It is the job you were meant to do.

If anyone can help Crazy Eddie it would be you. You really do have a special patience for dogs in need. Eddie is just scared and the longer he is at the shelter the harder it must be to reach him. You have done wonders in such a short time. I really hope you can reach him and prepare him for a good home.

Keep us posted. I am going to worry about Eddie until you tell me he has a loving forever home. He deserves that much in life.

What happened to scare him so badly.
Catherine

That was such a great thing to read. Thank you so much for writing about how you worked with Eddie. I am sure it will help others with untrusting dogs. You were very very patient, and kept focused which is what is needed. It can't be rushed. Yet what amazing progress in just an hour and a half! Enough to turn him right around for the next day.

I've seen this sort of thing before....a dog goes into a shelter, all over the place, terrifed, fear-aggressive -the lot. Who can blame it?  We would be too, if someone just came up to us in the street, or worse -into our home -grabbed us, put us in a van, drove away and stuck us in jail surrounded by noise and strangers. That's what it must seem like to those shelter dogs.

I know shelter staff are tremendously busy, but all so many dogs need is some careful one-to-one time, like you gave Eddie.

A good many dogs are put to sleep for these reasons, simply because someone didn't bother.

Nice job Eddie! Nice job Libby! I hope he will find a loving home as soon as possible.

Welcome back Libby! Thank you so much for your story.
I am really hoping Eddie finds just the right people to give him a forever home.

Tobi, your description of the shelter experience is so good. It must feel like jail and a nightmare they can't wake up from. I see it in the eyes of shelter guinea pigs. They just don't cope with the experience. I know shelters try to make things nice for the animals, but it is still a shelter and not a home.

For a little dog like Eddie it has clearly been too much.  Libby, I do hope you can help him enough to find him a home. If anyone can do it, you can.
Catherine