Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fondness for treats led to domestication
Genetic studies show that the domestic cat is not far removed from the wild. Having lived with cats I can believe it.
It seems that a fondness for treats and belly rubs are the real reason cats chose to live with us. Those cats with the most friendly temperament were the most successful at living with humans.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/...c-analysis

Once we had warm caves and a good food source cats were smart enough to join us.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes cats certainly retain their streak of wildness, much more so than dogs do. But of course they are all individuals, and behave differently. The cat I used to have was quite different in temperament to the one I am now looking after. He was very like a dog in his ways. She is very 'cat'.

They all came to join us for reasons. Some of them were survival reasons most likely. But I feel they are all on a 'mission' with us! One way or another they help us to become better people if we open our hearts.
Dogs are definitely on a mission with us. They are going to keep us safe and happy at all costs.
Cats are harder to figure out. And so are the many other animals that we have as pets, that I somehow think want to be pets. Guinea pigs love being pets. They have no desire to go back to the wild.

Even the domesticated snakes do not want to return to the wild. The reason why people find escaped snakes is that they come back and are looking for people to look after them again.

Cats are always wild at heart and yet they want to be with us. If they didn't they would leave. I think they came to us and we won them over with treats. We feel good when we pet them and they feel good when we pet them. We make each other happy. That is no small thing in a life that can be very hard. All our pets bring us happiness.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine